need sump fug design help

victor626nj

Market
Reaction score
ok guys i need help building a sump with a fug in it. here is the thing i want to put my skimmer in sump as well cause i dont want to take any chances .its a d.a.s. ex 1 its for a 90 gal reef tank and the sump is a 30gal long 36x12x16 lxwxh as you probably already know the foot print on the d.a.s. is pretty weired .i am useing a mag 5 for return but plan on changing that for an eihiem pump in the near future .well here is my question is there a way you can make me a quick blue print or sketch of a sump with fug in it that would also fit my skimmer inside thank you i will appreciate it. oh yeah the foot print for the skimmer is something like 16x8x24 thanks -victor

and yeah i tried melevreef but dont see something that would work so i need all my desgners on this one thanks to all...ps i also pmed melev but dont know what his response will be

here it goes for all that cant post on the forum
a> dawgdude

This is my plan and it is working very well so far, 1 week. I have a nice flow through the fuge.

roundman;67686 wrote: This is my plan and it is working very well so far, 1 week. I have a nice flow through the fuge.
from the looks of it it looks as if your fug is gravity fed i was going to do something like thank but wont have room cause the stand is very limited..........dawg dude you send the pics yet

anyone have any ideas ......dawg dude checked my email to see if you send the pics .nothing

Big D;69458 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">I just did some to scale drawing... with that skimmer, you're only going to have few options. </span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">1. Run the skimmer external</span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">2. Combine the skimmer and return section (not recommended)</span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">3. Have a small return chamber which can be a P.I.A (option shown below)</span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">4. Get a bigger sump tank (may not be an option)</span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Here's what I came up with:</span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><u>36 Gallon Long Sump</u></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">
36LongSump.jpg
alt="" /></span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Here's the volumes:</span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Skimmer Chamber- 10.2 gals</span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Baffles- 2.8 gals</span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Fuge- 4.8 gals</span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Return Chamber- 4.3 gals</span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Total- about 22 gals</span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">You may have to adjust the measurements a little, but it's pretty much to scale. You could always make your baffles higher than 12" to get the volumes up higher, just gotta watch out for the possibility of it overflowing.</span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">You'll loose on average about 2% of your system volume a day to evaporation which would come to alomst 2 gallons, so the smaller return area might not be too bad, especially if you have an ATO.</span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Big D</span>
thanks big d thats alot of help one ? though isnt it better if the fug gets fed from the skimmer or i tee it of from the drane so it has more dwell time in the fug ...and the tak is about 17 inches tall but as far as length goes its perfect

Back