Nervous about adding new clown

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
I've had my current onyx clown for a bit over 2 years now. For about a year she was the only fish I had, then added my melanurus wrasse when I upgraded tanks, again that lasted a year. When I upgraded to the 90g I added another wrasse and a kole tang. She hasn't shown any aggression towards any other fish.

I picked up a small male clown from Jesse, DawgFace, a few weeks ago. He's been in my acclimation box since Saturday morning now. I'm a bit nervous about adding him to the tank since I've heard females (clown fish in general) can be quite aggressive towards new comers.

At first the female was very interested in the new clown but now just does her own thing. I'm thinking this is a good sign though. The male is till very interested in her and follows her around the box when she swims by. I'm wanting to release him in the next few days. Should I release him at night when the lights go off or in the morning before they come on?

It's hard to tell in the pic but the male is quite a bit smaller than the female
13914170441_a23a173321_b.jpg
alt="" /></a>
https://flic.kr/p/ncxL7n">image</a> by [IMG]https://www.flickr.com/people/41554976@N07/">slu13913</a>, on Flickr
[IMG]https://flic.kr/p/ncxQ6L">[IMG]https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2937/13914183862_4d643337c0_b.jpg alt="" /></a>
a>, on Flickr

I'd release it on your day off in the a.m. it will give you more time to monitor behavior vs nighttime

Ringo®;951953 wrote: I'd release it on your day off in the a.m. it will give you more time to monitor behavior vs nighttime

+1. There's a good chance shes going to beat up on him a bit either way. Good luck.

Thanks, guess I'll wait till Sunday to let him out then when I'll be home most the day.

Sean if you could catch the female and put them together in a basket for three days would be the best. She is going to attack the little guy but in that size tank they should be fine. I would put a top over the tank so she doesn't make him jump out.

Or a net basket they are like $12 on amazon. The acclimation box may work but the whole point is to take the female away from her spot so she want show dominance. I use the plant floating baskets from HD in the pond section they are like $3-4 they dont float to well so I zip tie some styro-foam. Works for me when pairing up fish.

merkywater;951977 wrote: Sean if you could catch the female and put them together in a basket for three days would be the best. She is going to attack the little guy but in that size tank they should be fine. I would put a top over the tank so she doesn't make him jump out.

That last line is way more important then you think

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

So far so good I guess. The snowflake took right to my frogspawn. My female onyx is pacing around him, nudging a bit. The new guy is shaking which I assume is submitting to the other fish

14038304975_53174a7f9b_b.jpg
alt="" />
</a>
a>, on Flickr

That's a cool picture. Is there a way to get clowns to host to something or is it just instinct? Cause I got two clowns who won't really go near my torch coral haha. (Sorry for dumb question and if it seems like I'm jacking thread)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I think it's just hit or miss. My onyx would go in my old hammer and frogspawn in my old tank. She has not once gone near this frogspawn in 2years. I believe Jesse, DawgFace, said this little guy was hosting a RBTA in his tank so he might just be looking for something new. Maybe teach the female to jump on board.

Thanks me too. Things seem to be going very well now with the two :D The male is now sticking with the female most the time. A lot less pushing, chasing, and shoving. She just doesn't like it when he comes in her sleeping corner yet lol.

Glad to see it worked out for you. The clown I got from you has been a model citizen too. I was really happy for that since the SnowFlake was almost twice the size of the Frostbite. They too have been showing some signs of pre-spawn. Not hosting though.

Nice! I came downstairs around 3am and the little guy was chilling in the frogspawn. Hope he isn't too rough on it.

HiImSean;952990 wrote: Nice! I came downstairs around 3am and the little guy was chilling in the frogspawn. Hope he isn't too rough on it.

So since I mentioned hosting my torch my newer clown just went up to it and keeps putting it's face on the tenticals.and then swimming away

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Back