new 55g

blind1993

Market
Reaction score
ok i just came home with a 55g that is drilled in the top left corner. i will have aton of questions since i want to do the right way this time(found fourm after tank had been set up).

1) how should i seal the bulkhead?
2) would that spray on rock work on the back wall?
3) how should i transfer the tanks?
thats it for now.

Are you talking about "great stuff" that stuff is extremely buoyant it is usually used in a combination with rock. Also they say to cover it with epoxy and sprinkle with sand in order to keep it from breaking down over time. I would just suggest doing lots of research on this. Look in the DIY forum of Reef Central. There are several threads about that right now. The biggest thing I can say about transferring tanks is patience. You need to make sure your new tank has cycled before moving livestock to it.

Bulkhead sealing....
showthread.php

do i have to cycle the new tank, or can i just use my current ls and lr and just transfer the whole tank in one days work?

i went to rc and could not find any.

If you transfer the rock and creatures directly to the new tank full of saltwater it is very unlikely you will cycle. To be safe, drip acclimating sensitive inverts to the new water is good. Depending on how long the tank old has been up, I would consider ditching the sand.

i agree with cam on the sand ....look what happened to rit cause of keeping the sand....its not pretty once you disturb it.....i would think about getting black sand pretty cool stuff...thats what imma use next time ...and since the tank is empty i would paint the back ....as far a bulk heads you dont need anything but the rubber washer it comes with .......and depending on the pump and how stron it is i would make a spray bar ..it will give you more coverage

Since you have sand and crushed coral mixed, I would dump it and go with fresh sand. You can use a small amount of what you have to seed it.

You will go through a cycle.

you dont need to seal the bulkhead, just make sure the rubber gasket is not on the same side as the nut, usually people install them so the rubber gasket is inside the water.

Victor626nj;129698 wrote: i agree with cam on the sand ....look what happened to rit cause of keeping the sand....its not pretty once you disturb it.....

Is that the consensus on why Rit's tank went south? I thought it was because he transported the live rock without keeping it in water, causing the sponges and other critters on it to die off.

I'm sure it was probably a combination of things, but I just wanted to check because he went through some serious trauma.

ok well i painted the back black and installed the drain with a fish proof drain. tommorow i am going to clean out the tank and water test it.

When you install the bulkheads. I always hand tighten them. They never leak if you do that. IMHO.

ok,

today i cleaned it out and found ZERO marks or anything, but my fingers are numb from the cold water. NO leaks and the paint dried and looks good. when i get it back in the garage dry it and seal it i will post some pics.

i have a question; if i take all the water and put it in the new tank will i have to drip the fish to the tank?

also i got new sand and its in the tank right now.

QUESTION: i remeber someone saying that a certain type of brute trash can leaked, which one was it? i am going to walmart to pick up a brute but do not want one that will leak.

Back