New 580g build coming soon, but we need ARC moving help!

So all, we hit a snag with delivery. Fedex has the tank and is set for delivery Friday. However my rental of 8’ long forklift forks has fallen through so we’re scrambling trying to find a way to get the tank off the truck and onto the trailer safely

You can probably get some 8' long forks from an equipment rental place in Atlanta I imagine. Maybe call around and see if any machine shops in your area has a set you could rent or borrow.

You can probably get some 8' long forks from an equipment rental place in Atlanta I imagine. Maybe call around and see if any machine shops in your area has a set you could rent or borrow.
Yeah that was the plan but doesn’t seem like anyone actually has any available

Yeah that was the plan but doesn’t seem like anyone actually has any available

Dang. Well do what the ancients did in these situations. Use some simple machines. A ramp and a series of rollers will allow you to move the tank out of the truck. Lisa and I loaded and unloaded a 240g tank by ourselves using suction cups and rollers I cut from 1.5" PVC pipe. I lifted one end of the tank enough for her to slip rollers under it and we eventually were able to roll the tank out of the back of my truck and onto the stand. Granted the 240g tank is nothing compared to what you are dealing with, but the principles will still work for your tank.

The challenge is mainly the ramp and rollers in your case. You could also build a rough stand on the back of the trailer that is about the same height as the back of the Fedex truck. Back the truck right up to the trailer and the stand on it and as described above roll the tank out of the truck and onto the stand. This way you would not need a ramp. To get it inside your place you just back right up to the doorway and slide the tank onto the lift tables and lower it onto a series of furniture dollies (many of them) and roll it to where your stand is. Use the lift table and brute strength to raise the tank up and onto the stand inside, What are the dimensions and what does the tank weigh? Are you going through a standard 36" door or are you able to open the wall up?

Whats the cost of hiring a moving company? Then it would be "hands off" for you ? say someone that moves heavy shop equipment /medical equipment or pool tables, etc..

I think it took eight people to move the 300gal into the old fish scales store, and that was an eight foot, glass cages tank,

Unfortunately I don’t know what the truck looks like to prepare for the height. The tank is 144”x30x31”, roughly 1200lbs. It is in a crate so the only option we see is to pull it out long ways via forklift.
Once the tank gets off the truck and onto the trailer, we can pull it around my backyard and to the door to the living room with a series of lifts and dollies. The doorway is a little tight, at 32” wide

My father in law came in clutch with a set of 8’ forks, so we’re on for Saturday! I’ll be happy to supply refreshments lol

if anyone doesn’t have my address and phone number, please let me know! I believe we’re shooting for getting the show started around 10am

Well it’s been much longer than I originally had planned, but the tank went back to the manufacturer and was repaired. The tank has now been shipped back to GA with scheduled delivery tomorrow 5/18. I am planning to rent a trailer to pick it up from the warehouse. From there, I will be storing it for a week until we can hopefully arrange enough help to get it inside my house. So unless there is a big influx of volunteers for this weekend, I’ll be shooting for next Saturday morning 5/27. I know it’s Memorial Day weekend and some people may be out of town, but if anyone is able to lend a hand, it would be greatly appreciated!

And if anyone can volunteer to help, please let me know asap so we can come up with a schedule/plan!

Well it’s been much longer than I originally had planned, but the tank went back to the manufacturer and was repaired. The tank has now been shipped back to GA with scheduled delivery tomorrow 5/18. I am planning to rent a trailer to pick it up from the warehouse. From there, I will be storing it for a week until we can hopefully arrange enough help to get it inside my house. So unless there is a big influx of volunteers for this weekend, I’ll be shooting for next Saturday morning 5/27. I know it’s Memorial Day weekend and some people may be out of town, but if anyone is able to lend a hand, it would be greatly appreciated!
How do you repair a glass tank? I’m out of town that weekend , I can’t wait to see the rest of the build photos

Back