New AI light strip

I think I might have to try this out.
They have the absolute highest cost per LED on the market. I don't think these are going to be flying off the shelves, the cost on these is obnoxious.

This is ridiculous
Blade Smart LED Strip - Coral Glow (48 inch) - Aqua Illumination
SKU: 251889
$569.99

I agree with @scottw . Price is ridiculously high for a light strip. I'd rather stick with Orpheks or Reef Brites that are already proven and priced way more reasonable.
You hit the nail on the head brother. I can't believe they think these will sell fast. Orpheks/Reef Brites are about half the cost and I would bet double the quality. AI has lost their minds.

Not sure how accurate this data is, but note the $/par graph BRS included in the video. 0EAFBFB5-CF28-4994-A7C5-9A0A800CC47E.jpeg

While they’re in the same “strip” LED category you don’t have WiFi controllability with reefbrites or orphek, if that’s something you’re looking for.

As for price they are expensive but for my application of a 24” (21” for the AI) there’s a $30 difference in price between the brands.

While they’re in the same “strip” LED category you don’t have WiFi controllability with reefbrites or orphek, if that’s something you’re looking for.

As for price they are expensive but for my application of a 24” (21” for the AI) there’s a $30 difference in price between the brands.
Go for it, let us know how you like it.

Maybe I missed it but I don't see any reference to PAR numbers? For the money I feel the Orphan OR3 bars are the best bang for the buck and they spread light like T5 bulbs but don't have to be replaced every 10 months.

And that does not make sense since more LEDs not concentrated in the same spot but rather spread out over a greater distance. It’s impossible to drive more PAR that way. They don’t even say a watt rating for the LEDs, sounds like smoke and mirrors.

if I do the math, 24 diodes per foot that’s 20 watts per foot it works out to less than 1 watt per diode. Not to much PAR developing from that….if you can’t tell, no I don’t like these lights.

Better quality than reefbrite and more spread and smaller sizes than orphek. 95 degree lenses, 24 diodes and 20watts per cluster, Plus you get controllability with the AI app or mobius. The M8 threads on the ends for DIY stands/hangers is awesome to me being a TIG welder the possibilities are endless. I can see these being pretty pricey for you guys with big tanks but for smaller tanks and nanos these look to be a good choice with the 12” and 21”. I’m sure reef2reef and some YouTubers will be cranking out par numbers here soon as well. Just my opinion though, these could turn out to be trash. Only time will tell

Better quality than reefbrite and more spread and smaller sizes than orphek. 95 degree lenses, 24 diodes and 20watts per cluster, Plus you get controllability with the AI app or mobius. The M8 threads on the ends for DIY stands/hangers is awesome to me being a TIG welder the possibilities are endless. I can see these being pretty pricey for you guys with big tanks but for smaller tanks and nanos these look to be a good choice with the 12” and 21”. I’m sure reef2reef and some YouTubers will be cranking out par numbers here soon as well. Just my opinion though, these could turn out to be trash. Only time will tell
Tuillo is a very good friend of mine, owner of Reefbrite and the OG of LED's, he was really the first person to introduce LED's to the market. The quality of his bars can't be beat, nobody in the market place has the quality he has, the support he has, period (this is based on selling lighting for 20+ years). I have had hundreds of RB's in my life and I have never had one go bad, and if it did, he would replace it. I say this not because he is a great friend, I say this b/c you said better quality than RB and that is simply not true. How can we say what the quality of these bars are, and to say better b/c of a couple pretty photos and an M8 thread is silly? They are new to the market and their 32 and 64 suck, the 16 is actually an amazing led for nano tanks, I would argue the best on the market and that is painful to say b/c I really hate AI's. Orphek are proven winners for years, amazing light for the price.

This is based on 35+ years in the hobby, running every light that has been to market minus a couple of the garbage black boxes that have come and gone.

If I am wrong about these bars, I will gladly eat my words, but I feel pretty confident I am not wrong. Just as @dball711 said, SMOKE AND MIRRORS. If in fact they are using 1 watt diodes they should be even more embarrassed at that pricing.

Tuillo is a very good friend of mine, owner of Reefbrite and the OG of LED's, he was really the first person to introduce LED's to the market. The quality of his bars can't be beat, nobody in the market place has the quality he has, the support he has, period (this is based on selling lighting for 20+ years). I have had hundreds of RB's in my life and I have never had one go bad, and if it did, he would replace it. I say this not because he is a great friend, I say this b/c you said better quality than RB and that is simply not true. How can we say what the quality of these bars are, and to say better b/c of a couple pretty photos and an M8 thread is silly? They are new to the market and their 32 and 64 suck, the 16 is actually an amazing led for nano tanks, I would argue the best on the market and that is painful to say b/c I really hate AI's. Orphek are proven winners for years, amazing light for the price.

This is based on 35+ years in the hobby, running every light that has been to market minus a couple of the garbage black boxes that have come and gone.

If I am wrong about these bars, I will gladly eat my words, but I feel pretty confident I am not wrong. Just as @dball711 said, SMOKE AND MIRRORS. If in fact they are using 1 watt diodes they should be even more embarrassed at that pricing.

I had the reefbrites on my Noopsyche a couple years ago. The only thing quality was the housing, the rest I could have made in my garage. Plus to get the wifi controller and the dimmer adds another $200 which puts me over the AI light price and I still don’t get the same controllability. With the orphek light my only complaint really is just the lengths. You’re reviewing this product with a hate for AI products to begin with. I only stated my reasons for thinking it was a good light for guys with smaller tanks. The lengths, the controllability, the side screws are convenient to me and I do like the sleek flat design. I did state as well at the end of my last post that it was just my opinion and this light could be trash and only time would tell. Now watch ecotech drop a light strip and everybody will lose their minds begging them to take their money.

As most of you know I'm not a fan of AI since they we're bought buy Ecotech. The one thing these bars have going for them is the spectrums for the diodes, and that is because Ecotech/AI has been reading R2R enough to make the changes the DIY'ers are doing, but the cost/performance ratio for AI is about the worst on the market. AI is the "Economy" line for Ecotech. But They are driving more profit from that line than one would think. Probably more profit than the Radion's per diode.

For me Bars are supplemental, evening out the coverage and hitting more PUR. They are an alternative to T5, which are on or off. The only control I need is just that, on or off. If you're using them for another purpose, like the primary lighting, then I could see where some level of control would be beneficial.

I would say a majority of reefers would use LED bars purely as supplemental and not their primary source for lighting. So, for the most part, the only controllability you would need is an on/off that can be easily achieved with a controller that most people already run or a simple timer would do. Not sure why anyone would want to dim an LED bar that is purely a supplemental light, but this hobby is a hobby and to each their own.

Now going back to pricing, if you're comparing supplemental lighting for a smaller <24" tank, sure the price difference isn't much. But I would think 3'-4' tanks are more common in reef tanks, note I said reef not saltwater tank, since these are your main consumers that would be having an either mixed reef or sps tank that would buy supplemental lighting to fill in those dark/low par areas around the rim of the tank. At this point, the price becomes substantial, especially when most people would buy 2.

I can't speak as far as quality, since my only experience has been with Orphek OR3 and I think the build quality is great and the pop it does for my corals is amazing.

I wouldn't touch these, but then again, I am not the target consumer since the "value added" features they are promoting on it aren't in line with what I want/need. I think its nice to have another competitor though that is changing it up vs. the standard LED bars that we have been seeing on the market.

I had the reefbrites on my Noopsyche a couple years ago. The only thing quality was the housing, the rest I could have made in my garage. Plus to get the wifi controller and the dimmer adds another $200 which puts me over the AI light price and I still don’t get the same controllability. With the orphek light my only complaint really is just the lengths. You’re reviewing this product with a hate for AI products to begin with. I only stated my reasons for thinking it was a good light for guys with smaller tanks. The lengths, the controllability, the side screws are convenient to me and I do like the sleek flat design. I did state as well at the end of my last post that it was just my opinion and this light could be trash and only time would tell. Now watch ecotech drop a light strip and everybody will lose their minds begging them to take their money.
I never dim bars. I never dim T5’s that’s a waste for supplemental lighting.
If main source I guess that would be important but I would never run bars as main lighting. Dimming is a major waste of cash imo.

I’m reviewing this based on bang for buck and this fails in all categories.

Back