New Apex or not

reef insane

Market
Reaction score
I just spent almost $1000 for the new apex and VXM ecotech controller. I'm having anxiety. Please give me some feedback and tell me I did the right thing. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not set it up. U will like it. Sounds like me until about half a year ago. Getting a brand new gold toe Christmas but never set it up. Once I did, reefing has been much more easier - thanks to Brett, Marlon, Adam ...for encouraging and advice. Do it

I wish they could make it easier to write the code. It takes a little time. Mine needs a software update but I'm not sure how to do it. I've read the instructions but some of it I don't understand. Oh well if it ain't broke don't fix it

Let me alleviate some of that anxiety for you.

My old AC3 died last year. I needed a new controller, so being in a bind I got a brand new Apex gold.

Then 2 months later the new version came out and they said, "Hey if you just got one dont worry, you can upgrade for free" Then I find out the cutoff date for that was a week after I got mine.

Either way, if you have it use it. But the salinity probes are pretty useless.

Hey Mike, I'm in Duluth. I'd be more than happy to help you set up the coding in a week or so.
I'm in Cancun right now but get back in town tomorrow but I also have a busy week at work coming up.

I can help anyone else too. Most of the actual coding can be done remotely. Firmware updates not so much. Got to be there for those and backups as well. Doing backups should be part of your routine after any changes to the coding or modules. It's super easy though.

Use it! Apex is probably one of the single greatest pieces of equipment available in the hobby right now. Also for even more reason to be happy... the new Apex ATO/Flow meters should be out this year!! Those are going to be amazing.

Apex is the best, I control my temperature, salinity, lights, ph. Everything automated, gives you great peace of mind.
I recommend to anyone this great investment.

PS. Alkalinity probe coming soon, 2017 hopefully! can't wait...

After the initial stress of the unknown I finally figured it out. It is relatively easy and the capabilities seem endless. So far so good. Next step is getting my Vortech powerheads to communicate with the WXM.

MyAquariumPro;1100688 wrote: Apex is the best, I control my temperature, salinity, lights, ph. Everything automated, gives you great peace of mind.
I recommend to anyone this great investment.

PS. Alkalinity probe coming soon, 2017 hopefully! can't wait...

Alkalinity probe would be awesome.

Apex is awesome! Among a list of things I have it do I use my Apex and DOS to do automatic water changes of 2 gallons per day. Which is not only awesome because I dont have to carry buckets but also is less of a shock to the system than a big change all at once.

voodoojar;1100937 wrote: Apex is awesome! Among a list of things I have it do I use my Apex and DOS to do automatic water changes of 2 gallons per day. Which is not only awesome because I dont have to carry buckets but also is less of a shock to the system than a big change all at once.

I wonder if you could accurately do the same thing with 2 BRS dosing pump?

It's the fear of the unknown as you have realized.

Mine sat in a box for a few months and I've got a Computer Science degree lol.
Once you get started, it's true love :)

mattgee87;1100939 wrote: I wonder if you could accurately do the same thing with 2 BRS dosing pump?

I believe the BRS dosing pumps aren't meant to run that much. 2gallons is roughly 7570mL. I think BRS made a 5mL/min pump (I don't see it on their site anymore just the 1.1mL/min pump) but that would be running consistently 24/7 just to get that 2gallons a day exchange. The DOS can do up to 250mL/min, that would change 2gallons in about 30minutes of continuous pumping.

Back