New Basement Setup

jonathan

Market
Reaction score
I have been working on a new basement sump setup for quite some time now and finally filled it with RO water and salt about 3 days ago. It has been running through the multiple chambers at a high flow rate (iwaki 70). The water was crystal clear out of the RO and clouded normally after adding the salt but appears to be a yellowish urine color now. I do not have anything in the water that could start a cycle. Is this normal for new water? I want to connect my well established 65 gallon tank to the new 50 gallon sump setup but have concerns that the water might be tainted. Any ideas?

Thanks,

JM

Do you have lighting on it? Could it be the spectrum of the light? If you're really concerned, run some tests.

There is only an overhead 2 bulb strip light. What tests do you recommend other than ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, salinity?

Thanks,

it appeared clear under the same lighting when i added the salt 3 days ago.

Dude,. Im not sure. But I started mixing water in my basement the other day. And the first batch at first was fine,.. but after a few days I got the yellow stuff as well. I couldn't figure out what it was,. so Im interested as well..

did you check to see if there was a hobo camping out in the basement and peeing in your tanks?

:lol:

just a joke...reminded me of Desperado where dude tells the bartenders their beer taste like piss; the bartenders reply, "we know, because we piss in it!"

Take a glass from below surface water and see what it looks like. Many times when you mix in new saltwater you'll get a yellowish brown film on the top that is nothing to worry about but the water itself should be clear. If the actual water is yellow I'd be worried. Try running some cabon in there and see what happens if it's actually the water.

Good idea. I'm going to slap some chemipure in it and see what happens. I'll post a pic when I get home. It is definitely the water and not just the surface.

valas and piznac, what brand of salt are you using? I'm curious if you both got that result from different brands of salt mix. I've seen it a few times and carbon does help but I don't know what causes it in the first place.

Using Instant Ocean here. I am starting to think that the salt could be the culprit. It was a freshly opened bag. The water came out of the RO and circulated clear for about 2 days before the salt was added. I wonder if the mix has something in it that reacts to deionized water. hmmmm.

ozone should cure it, if you've got a ozonator handy.

Here's a pic of the sump area. I put a white piece of shelving behind it to show the color difference. It was even worse when I got home today.

Yeah Im using Instant Ocean as well. But oddly enough when I mix upstairs its fine,... and yes my basement is unfinished,.. or half finished :) ,.. prehaps it was just the dust and stuff.

Nano<<< email sent. I've got a spare skimmer on it now that should remove dust and other airborne crud. I don't think thats it though.

Back