New Clam/SPS tank

sailfish

Market
Reaction score
This is my setup in progress. Claim/sps tank.

It is a 53 gal 48"x24"x14.5" euro brace acrylic tank.

Custom 33 gal acrylic working capacity sump. 38”x18”x18” With 7 baffles 1 removable in skimmer section(no more bubbles). Black baffles in refugium area.(around 10gal)

Stand DIY 37" tall for easy viewing from the top. This is what the whole system will be designed around.

Lights will be 2 250 HQI aqua medic pendants. Maybe a 150 I have too.

Flow will be tunze and koralia pumps what ever i have right now. Mag 5 return pump but will try to find a smaller more efficient pump I am shooting for 350 to 400 gph taking into account head loss. It seems everything is 350 or 600 not much in between.

Skimmer can't decide every time I try to purchase one they are out of stock.

Contenders
DAS E-1 E-2 would be overkill I believe.
ATI 160
euro reef rs 135
Octo 150

I am sure I forgot something feel free to post questions.

Joe

thanks Cameron

Pic's as of jan 27

P1010005.jpg
alt="" />

P1010006.jpg
alt="" />

Thanks Joe

ohhhhh.... very nice. I think the ATI would fit nicely in there, but hard to beat the price on the Oct. DAS would probalby be a bit too big, but it would skim the crap out of that tank. Maybe a DAS B series.

Nice set up. What are you going to do for cal and alk? Two part or a reactor.
Also who made the tank? It looks real nice.

I was thinking the das x-1 but not in stock and who knows when it will. Ati has been saying next week for about 3 weeks.

The volume will be about 65 to 75 gal with rock. It will be bare bottom for now in the tank with a DSB in the Refug. I don't think i can have a sand bed in such a shallow tank with the flow i want.(12" inside)

I like to overskim but its 400 lph or 1000lph not much to chose from inbetween. The seda 5000 gets around 660lph on the rs135 so its an option.

I would like to get a needle wheel skimmer less finicky than the meshwheel. I like messing with my tank not my skimmer.

Anyone here have a ATI 160?

I will be useing a auto doser by aqua medic and two part for now. I have a calcuim reactor on my other tank and may move it to this system later.

The tank was built by my reef creations after the sale. The sump was built by precision customs. The tank is 3/4" and built like a tank. I can not say how good of a job they did b/c its my first acrylic. It looks pretty good to me but it does have some bubbles in the seams. Some one with better experiance could tell you how good a job they did. You more than welcome to take a look if you would like.

Thanks
Joe

looks good but my only comment would be on your return pump, with those 2 90's in line, you're reducing your flow quite a bit. You might want to redo that area, unless that was your intention. Otherwise, its looking really nice.

Joe,
I have the same issue with return pumps. Here is what I found:

Hydor Seltz L35 (450gph, 21w, 6.25ft mhp)
Rio 1400+ (420gph, 27w, 6.0ft mhp)
Tunze Master Recirc 1073 (105 - 792gph, 35 - 55w, 9.8ft mhp)

The Tunze pumps would be nice as you can change the pump speed but they are pricey compared to the other pumps. I will likely try the Hydor as I am targeting 450gph for my return pump(s) upgrade.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. For now I will give this a try and make changes as needed.

Sam who sells the tunze pump?

Joe

Don't know the numbers off the top of my head but are Ehiems frugal with the energy?

An update of my tank. It looks more like a frag tank then anything but i love it. It well be nice to one day set it up not as a frag tank.

Anyhow I went with 250 14,000k Phoenix in lumenbright pendents for light.

I am using a Euro reef rs 135 for a skimmer and it has worked great, but the Ventura clogs easily. It seems like every other week I have to get the salt creep out.

I am still using the mag 5 for a return pump and one day will try another one.

For flow I ended up with a mix of 3 small tunze and 1 koralia 3. Flow is about as much as I can have without killing my frogspawn. I would like a little more but can't seem to part with him.

I will eventually add a 150 MH in the center to fix the dark spot in the center of the tank. Matter of fact if anyone has a PFO 150 pendent let me know.

Thats it for now.

Joe

DSC_0031-1.jpg
alt="" />

DSC_0032-1.jpg
alt="" />

Thanks guys.

I love the reflectors but one of the metal clips was lose and I am assuming it caused an arc that melted the metal and part of the bulb. So now we will see how the customer service is.

I put my old reflector on and it is amazing the difference in the two. It looks like two different bulbs. Need to get an new clamp ASAP.

Joe

Yes clips or clamps what ever you call the things that hold a double ended bulb in place It also gives it the juice. It tried to weld itself to the bulb.

Joe

Ohhhh you got the DE ones...cool. Yeah man thats definitely an arching issue. I'm sure the place you got them from will hook you up. Tell them you want a new bulb too.

I was waiting for that one. Right now it has too many sps to add any clams.
I hope to be setting up a new display very soon. Once it's setup then most of these corals along with the one's in my display will be transferd there.

Once that is done I will set this up as a tank for clams some sps mostly back up of whats in my display. I think this is a year away. So it is just a frag/holding tank for my long term goals. Who knows what it will actually end up being but this was what my orginal plan was.:lol2: I love looking at the tank from the top with all the pumps off.

Joe

Wow, looks great when can we come by and get some of those frags :)

Back