New Clam/SPS tank

How are your temperatures running with those two 250 watt HQIs? That is an absolute ton of light for that volume and depth.

I am setting up a 20 long acro frag tank (12" deep) and I am going with two 70 watt HQIs myself.

It's really not a lot of light. If you are running 14,000k bulbs. The par at the bottom of the tank is around 400 on the right side. On the left i have the reflector a little higher so i can light a greater area. I think the frags get a range from 350 on the outside edge of the reflector to 600 at the peak. Now if i ran 10,000k i could run them alot higher. In fact in my display i went to 400 20,000 from 250 10,000k and have less par then before. Watts can be misleading. I think everyone should beg or barrow a PAR meter to see what you are really getting. I myself have always been surprised one way or another when i have tested my light setups.

I bought a chiller but so far have not had to use it. I have it running on my other tank. I have a fairly large honywell house type fan mounted to blow across the open top of the tank. The temp today at 2:33pm is 78 while the house is 76 in that room. While its not the most attractive setup it is not a display tank.

Joe

sailfish;175607 wrote: It's really not a lot of light. If you are running 14,000k bulbs. The par at the bottom of the tank is around 400 on the right side. On the left i have the reflector a little higher so i can light a greater area. I think the frags get a range from 350 on the outside edge of the reflector to 600 at the peak. Now if i ran 10,000k i could run them alot higher. In fact in my display i went to 400 20,000 from 250 10,000k and have less par then before. Watts can be misleading. I think everyone should beg or barrow a PAR meter to see what you are really getting. I myself have always been surprised one way or another when i have tested my light setups.

I bought a chiller but so far have not had to use it. I have it running on my other tank. I have a fairly large honywell house type fan mounted to blow across the open top of the tank. The temp today at 2:33pm is 78 while the house is 76 in that room. While its not the most attractive setup it is not a display tank.

Joe

I have an Oceanic 120 Tech series (48" x 24" x 24"), and my lighting is 4 x 54 watt T5 actinics and 2 x 250 watt 14 K Phoenix HQIs. I have acroporas (60 species) anywhere from about 6 inches from the bottom on up and have good growth on all of them, hence my comment about that much light on a
tank 14.5" deep.

I thought I would drag this old thread up and post some new pictures.

I have switched from 3 250 watt 14k to a new ATI 6 bulb fixture.:yay:

I was tired of running a total of 6 MH and two chillers in one house. I hope to reduce the number of sps in this tank and then redo it altogether.

I have not decided on what type of tank it will be. I do know it will be a mix of sps mostly back ups of the ones in my display and LPS and Zoas. I plan on more zoas and lps then anything.

Right now I have a pair of clowns and 3 chromis I may get rid off. I would like to do something different with this set up. Maybe a species tank or even just one angler fish.

I have thought about aquascaping it as a reef crest. Where I start off with very little to no rock on one side and all rock on the other. Some of it actually sticking out of the water. Then have waves actually hit the rocks like in the ocean.

If anyone has any Ideas let me know.

Pics of the new fixture.

DSC_0003-15.jpg
alt="" />

DSC_0004-9.jpg
alt="" />

DSC_0005-10.jpg
alt="" />

DSC_0007-7.jpg
alt="" />

DSC_0011-4.jpg
alt="" />

Thank Joe

Would the rocks not die if you left them out of the water like that? Or would waves constantly keep going over them to keep them soaked?

Bulbs are 3 blue plus, 1 fij purple, 1 super actinic, 1 aqua sun. It has a bit to much of a pink tint to it. Not sure if it's from the fiji or aqua sun.

The fixture is is 6.25" above the water and the par at 11.5" under the water ranges from 420 to 340. Which seems strange. I thought the Par would be the same the entire length of the unit but it's not.

The 420 PAR area is in the center 36" of the fixture. On the side it drops off to around 340.:unsure:

Joe

Yes they would die off at first but after a period of time the rock would have a dead half and a live half. I just want to do something different. I have a bunch of rock left from taking down my old tank. Who knows I may just do some unique rock work.

That is an mp 40 the large one.

Joe

thedeper;290693 wrote: Would the rocks not die if you left them out of the water like that? Or would waves constantly keep going over them to keep them soaked?

I ordered it from Reef geek. One of our sponsors sell them Aquarium specialty.

Joe

thedeper;290695 wrote: Also, where'd you pick that fixture up from?

Back