New clown coloration

fishfiend

Market
Reaction score
Saw http://www.c-questfarms.com/cotton_candy/cotton_candy_clowns.htm">these</a> in a magazine and checked them out. They aren't available wholesale yet. I can't tell if I like them or not...

What do y'all think?:confused2:

Haha they aren't even for sale yet. Do you honestly like them or are they just something unique? I'd be worried that the first couple stocks aren't healthy because of inbreeding....

Unique... and I like them... but they are unique... and I kind of like them... but they ARE unique... I'll grow to like them... because they are unique... I bet they would grow on me... kind of like fungus :D

But man wouldn't they look cool sitting on a <span style="color: blue;">Bright Blue</span> Carpet Anemone...

Harleyguy;154832 wrote:
But man wouldn't they look cool sitting on a <span style="color: blue;">Bright Blue</span> Carpet Anemone...
i think that a bright red carpet would look better :yay:

These "supposedly" sold for $32,000 USD in Thailand. I find that a little hard to believe, but the source sticks by it. I know they pay obsceene money for rare fish in Thailand, but thats ridiculous.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
154975=9631-114759post-2154-1192544550_1_.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
154975=9631-114759post-2154-1192544550_1_.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="114759post-2154-1192544550_1_.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

No joke they pay a LOT in Asian countries for fish. It's a hobby over there, but also a status symbol. I've sold a RIDICULOUSLY ugly angelfish. She was some nasty ugly Clarion/Queen mix that a gentlemen bred. Because Clarions are now on the DNC list she was a one of a kind. She ended up selling for $5000 plus shipping to Bejing.

I don't see any fish going for as much as a small car, but then again corn flakes on ebay do... so who knows.

Fishfiend;154980 wrote: No joke they pay a LOT in Asian countries for fish. It's a hobby over there, but also a status symbol. I've sold a RIDICULOUSLY ugly angelfish. She was some nasty ugly Clarion/Queen mix that a gentlemen bred. Because Clarions are now on the DNC list she was a one of a kind. She ended up selling for $5000 plus shipping to Bejing.

I don't see any fish going for as much as a small car, but then again corn flakes on ebay do... so who knows.

Wait, you claim you know someone that has successfully bred marine angelfish? Who? I find this a little hard to believe. Clarions recently went for almost $4000 here in the US, so IF</em> there was a clarion hybrid floating around, It would go for WAY more than $5000. I am very interested in this claim. Can you provide more details?

Actually I can't. We were able to assume it for the most part because of markings but it was definitely a hybrid of some sort. Even had some ichths. from my school lab and NEAQ take a look at it and they were unable to identify.

Had we confirmed that it was indeed a clarion it definitely would have gone for a lot more. It was confirmed that it was a one of a kind, but we didn't want to sacrifice her for taxonomy. And since we had purchased her from another LFS I couldn't contact the original owner.

Fishfiend;155016 wrote: Actually I can't. We were able to assume it for the most part because of markings but it was definitely a hybrid of some sort. Even had some ichths. from my school lab and NEAQ take a look at it and they were unable to identify.

Had we confirmed that it was indeed a clarion it definitely would have gone for a lot more. It was confirmed that it was a one of a kind, but we didn't want to sacrifice her for taxonomy. And since we had purchased her from another LFS I couldn't contact the original owner.

Interesting. Since there is no real DNA database for fish, most speciation comes from meristics (which is non-invasive) and consultation with collectors and experts (phds, etc). Very little comes from invasive anatomy or morphology nowadays. As I mentioned, I would HIGHLY doubt it was captive bred- more than likely wild caught. No one has really captive bred any large angels with the exceptions of Martin Moe in the 70's, and that was really bizarre, because he used hormones to illicit gametes release, and fed natural wild caught planktonic foods, and it was horrifically expensive, so he stopped doing that.
And if it was indeed a clarion hybrid, it wouldnt have been with a queen, they are from different oceans. Maybe a Passer hybrid. Nonetheless, I would say we would both agree that it likely fetched its highest price overseas

Back