New Fish, Need Help.

radha

Market
Reaction score
I wanna get another fish for my 20, I think I know most of the basics of keeping another fish. I really don't know what fish I want, and I need some help deciding. I did want some blue green chromis, so if all else fails, I will just get a couple of those. I really have nothing in mind, but there are a few basics I would like:

-The fish has to be compatible with everything in my tank, which includes:
2 ocellaris clownfish, pearly jawfish, ornamental shrimp, and a mixed reef.
-The price range should be from $0-$25
-The fish should have personality and color.
-The fish should be compatible with it's own species, in case in the future I wanna add one of it's own to my tank.

Any suggestions? I know I'm picky about what I want, but I just want that one special thing to complete my tank.
Thanks so much!!

Firefish.

Now that I have put 2 in my 30, they are entertaining and wonderful fish. One meant he headed for his bolthole the moment you stepped in the room, but the 2 of them are out all the time and they are characters.

They are great fish.

tokejr;365087 wrote: Firefish.

Now that I have put 2 in my 30, they are entertaining and wonderful fish. One meant he headed for his bolthole the moment you stepped in the room, but the 2 of them are out all the time and they are characters.

They are great fish.

Cool! I will definetley put that into consideration!!

Does anyone know if shrimp gobies are compatible with jawfish?

Scooter blenny? My tank has been established for a year and a half.

Some small fish I have really liked are a yellow clown goby wich are usually around $15. And a fish I just got a week ago from marine fish is a red stripped goby
prod_display.cfm

blu_devl_06;365114 wrote: Firefish have lots of personality, and brilliant coloring, and won't grow too large for your tank. Great suggestions. If you do not have pods in your tank, do not attempt a scooter. If you need pods, don't buy any, I have tons. I will give you some.

Cool!! I have assorted pods, not sure what they are because they are so small and are too quick for me to identify. Where's Rockmart Ga, and how far is it from Duluth?

twistoflime;365113 wrote: Some small fish I have really liked are a yellow clown goby wich are usually around $15. And a fish I just got a week ago from marine fish is a red stripped goby http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+1728&pcatid=1728">http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+1728&pcatid=1728</a> they are very small but really cool and have (atleast mine does) tons of personality.[/QUOTE]

You know, I was talking to my mom last night, and we were looking at fish online, and she said she liked that one. So I'll also put that into consideration.

twistoflime;365113 wrote: Some small fish I have really liked are a yellow clown goby wich are usually around $15. And a fish I just got a week ago from marine fish is a red stripped goby http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+1728&pcatid=1728">http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+1728&pcatid=1728</a> they are very small but really cool and have (atleast mine does) tons of personality.[/QUOTE]

I love my yellow clown goby too! He's a really great fish. But........and this is pretty big.......

He doesn't eat frozen brine unless he's really hungry. I feed the tank he is in with newly hatched baby brine shrimp and that's all he would eat at first. It took a long time to get him to eat the frozen, and he still only eats that if I don't put anything else in the tank for him.

The yellow clown goby doesn't do well in captivity unless you can get them eating and usually arrive very hollow bellied - so have a brine shrimp hatchery going before you get it.

I don't recommend a dragonet (which is what a scooter "blenny" is - it's not a blenny at all... nor is a mandarin a "goby")... for a 20g tank.

My first thought was firefish also - but Roxanne et al. beat me to it :) Clown gobies as was mentioned, are also nice. Bar goby, scissortail goby... all peaceful, pretty and inexpensive fish.

Jenn

tokejr;365118 wrote: I love my yellow clown goby too! He's a really great fish. But........and this is pretty big.......

He doesn't eat frozen brine unless he's really hungry. I feed the tank he is in with newly hatched baby brine shrimp and that's all he would eat at first. It took a long time to get him to eat the frozen, and he still only eats that if I don't put anything else in the tank for him.

The yellow clown goby doesn't do well in captivity unless you can get them eating and usually arrive very hollow bellied - so have a brine shrimp hatchery going before you get it.

Yes, I forgot to mention another back up plan was a clown goby. Those things are so cute, but after what I hear about the brine shrimp stuff... I don't know..... that's intimidating.

Just make sure it's eating prepared foods in the LFS before you buy it. They can be a bit picky.

blu_devl_06;365119 wrote: Probably an 45 minutes to an hour down 20 west.

Really, because I just yahoo mapped it, and it said 1 hour and 30 min. That's quite a drive. But I could be wrong!!

tokejr;365118 wrote: I love my yellow clown goby too! He's a really great fish. But........and this is pretty big.......

My yellow clown gobies ate frozen cycloplezze right away, unfortunently they went missing after a tank move :sad:.

JennM;365122 wrote: Just make sure it's eating prepared foods in the LFS before you buy it. They can be a bit picky.

Ya, that's what my aunt taught me (she has done scuba for 15 years and also has had a 50 and 100 gallon tank for 15 years).

twistoflime;365124 wrote: My yellow clown gobies ate frozen cycloplezze right away, unfortunently they went missing after a tank move :sad:.

That stinks!!

radha;365121 wrote: Yes, I forgot to mention another back up plan was a clown goby. Those things are so cute, but after what I hear about the brine shrimp stuff... I don't know..... that's intimidating.

Oh, NO! A brine shrimp hatchery is SOOOOOOOOO easy!

All you need is a 2 liter coke bottle, an air pump and an air stone.

Put in some saltwater, some eggs, and wait 24 hours. Then siphon off the baby brine and feed them to the tank. Replace the eggs, start up the pump and you're ready to go for the next feeding.

It's easy to see the baby brine shrimp - just shine a flashlight on the side of the bottle and you can see them all swim to the light.

I use a rigid airline and siphon them into a paper towel.

Seeing any fish eat before you buy is always a good practice. Then you know it's 1) Eating prepared foods, 2) Relaxed enough to feel comfortable eating, and 3) If it doesn't eat right away in your system, you know when it ate last, and what it ate.

Jenn

Back