New Fish, Need Help.

tokejr;365129 wrote: Oh, NO! A brine shrimp hatchery is SOOOOOOOOO easy!

All you need is a 2 liter coke bottle, an air pump and an air stone.

Put in some saltwater, some eggs, and wait 24 hours. Then siphon off the baby brine and feed them to the tank. Replace the eggs, start up the pump and you're ready to go for the next feeding.

It's easy to see the baby brine shrimp - just shine a flashlight on the side of the bottle and you can see them all swim to the light.

I use a rigid airline and siphon them into a paper towel.

How bout sea monkeys? I could do that, and I know sea monkeys are brine shrimp. That's much easier to get for me.

JennM;365131 wrote: Seeing any fish eat before you buy is always a good practice. Then you know it's 1) Eating prepared foods, 2) Relaxed enough to feel comfortable eating, and 3) If it doesn't eat right away in your system, you know when it ate last, and what it ate.

Jenn

Yes, you have a good point. That's why I don't like buying from the internet, even if it's WYSIWYG. My aunt pointed out a couple websites that she has experience with, such as liveaquaria and blue zoo aquatics, but I still don't feel comfortable...

radha;365134 wrote: How bout sea monkeys? I could do that, and I know sea monkeys are brine shrimp. That's much easier to get for me.

Sea monkeys ARE baby brine shrimp. If you add the airstone, they just hatch faster.

Yeah, it's that easy.

I feed all my tanks baby brine shrimp - I think it's healthy to feed live foods whenever I can and getting the fish chasing food keeps them actively hunting.

The clowns, firefish and the damsels, in particular, love baby brine shrimp.

tokejr;365137 wrote: Sea monkeys ARE baby brine shrimp. If you add the airstone, they just hatch faster.

Yeah, it's that easy.

I feed all my tanks baby brine shrimp - I think it's healthy to feed live foods whenever I can and getting the fish chasing food keeps them actively hunting.

The clowns, firefish and the damsels, in particular, love baby brine shrimp.

Ok, then I will put clown gobies back on my list. The only problem is, I like to feed my fish stuff with protein in it. I was told that brine shrimp alone (dead or alive) is like candy and provides nothing to the fish. True?

radha;365140 wrote: Ok, then I will put clown gobies back on my list. The only problem is, I like to feed my fish stuff with protein in it. I was told that brine shrimp alone (dead or alive) is like candy and provides nothing to the fish. True?
Baby brine shimp have a lot of nutrients but it'[s the adults that are unhealthy.

twistoflime;365141 wrote: Baby brine shimp have a lot of nutrients but it'[s the adults that are unhealthy.

Aaah... ok. I was also thinking about a shrimp goby.... any thoughts?

radha;365143 wrote: Aaah... ok. I was also thinking about a shrimp goby.... any thoughts?
By shrimp goby do you mean a goby that pairs up with pistol shrimp? If so your pearly jawfish probobly won't like that. Plus you'll probobly want three fish that will be out in the open aposed to two fish burrowed in the sand bed.

blu_devl_06;365130 wrote: You may be alittle further out than I thought......

Yeah, I have family out in Paulding (Dallas, Yorkville) and it's 1.5 hours from Cumming to Dallas - 2.0 hours to my sister's on the Polk/Paulding line in Yorkville.

twistoflime;365141 wrote: Baby brine shimp have a lot of nutrients but it's the adults that are unhealthy.

Unless you gut load them (feed them something nutritious like an algae) before you feed them to the fish. But that's a lot of work.

twistoflime;365146 wrote: By shrimp goby do you mean a goby that pairs up with pistol shrimp? If so your pearly jawfish probobly won't like that. Plus you'll probobly want three fish that will be out in the open aposed to two fish burrowed in the sand bed.

Ya, I just wanted to make sure that the jawfish wouldn't like another burrowing fish. To be honest, I like burrowing fish, I tend to find they have lots of personality. IMO. Do firefish school at all? I kinda would like a schooling fish...

tokejr;365149 wrote: Unless you gut load them (feed them something nutritious like an algae) before you feed them to the fish. But that's a lot of work.

Ya, and my dad has to frive me around, and he never has any time, neither does my mom. So weekends are all we have, and my mom always wants to go to my lake house, and she's already not too crazy about my tank. So, I like to stick to local stuff. But I promise to find a time to come to all the fish stores around atlanta.

blu_devl_06;365151 wrote: I am actually closer to yorkville than rockmart, if you look on the sponsor map, take 20 west to villa rica, go north till you see beulah, i am where the E is in beulah. There are other stores closer to you guys, just thought I'd offer. I have a customer that drives here every 2 weeks from monticello.

Thanks so much! Like I said, I will find a time sometime this year to come out and see your store.

Back