New Frag Tank Design: Suggestions?

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
Here is the new design for my frag tank. I am using a Little Giant 3MDQ-SC as the return with a oceanmotions 3-way for flow and a spraybar at the bottom to keep the detris suspended. I am also looking at a single fish, maybe a copperband or yellow tang to help keep things clean. Using Building the grid shelves tonight and hopefully plumping it into my display sump. Any suggestions?

FT3.jpg
alt="" />

It looks really good. Most frag tanks I've seen are rather shallow and don't have tiers. I imagine you could grow quite a variety of corals with that. What kind of lighting are you going to use?

Going with a 250 MH and 2 X 75 VHO Actnic. Should be plenty for some nice growth!

I use BAF plugs that will fit into the eggcrate grid. Some frags, such as SPS branching (Bali slimer) like to grow horizontally and this angled grid will aide in letting them branch out.

I am still playing with the design of the eggcrate stands/shelves. Trying to get the most surface and elevation out of the limited space.

wow sweet frag tank! I agree it looks like a level off marble madness.

After going over some more ideas and taking into consideration the great help about my lighting canumdrum yesterday I have come up with another idea and for those of you that work with Arcylic I need to find out if this is possible! If I take my 37 GAL Arcylic lay it on it's back, (bulkheads down) and cut a piece out of the original front of the tank (now the top) and seal it to the original top (now the front) would there be any problems? I know I would have ot make sure it was well sealed/welded and maybe be ever stronger if I put it on the inside so the water pressure would push it against the original top. I know I would have to leave a lip around the top for support. It would look something like this when finished. It would give me a shallower depth for the most light and more surface area for frags. Not looking at asthetics but more for utility and efficiency. Does anyone see any issues....I have never really worked with acrylic before and would appreciate any advice or help! Thanks in advance!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
49918=3217-FragT.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
49918=3217-FragT.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="FragT.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I auctually like your design, I have stollen a couple of your ideas and put them in my 20L frag tank, not up and running but soon, got it in a closet now but trying to fig how to plum it in to my up and running system without having to see it every day.

Chris

Back