New Lights!

dball711

Supporting
Reaction score
Just sold my Radion gen 5's to make way for a change over to Strip LED lights, adjustment, no ramp up or down, no moon light - just light strip that turn on and off throughout the day.

I have 2 - 60g frag tanks with a 2' x 4' footprint and only 12" deep.

Each tank will have 7 LED strips...
2 - Orphek OR3 Blue Sky
2 - Orphek OR3 Blue Plus
1 - Orphek OR3 UV/Violet
and
2 - generic 80w 470nm light bars

I rigged up a hanging mount for the 5 OR3 bars using the provided hinged mound so I could angle the light into the tank. The 2 generic light bars are mounted on the top Fram off. the aquarium to provide light at an extreme angle. The purpose of angling the light sources is to reduce the shaded areas on my corals that LED lights just hanging over corals don't reach on the sides of the corals.
IMG_3678.jpeg
IMG_3680.jpegIMG_3692.jpegIMG_3684.jpegIMG_3692 2.jpegIMG_3681.jpegIMG_3682.jpeg

Last edited:
Love it Dave. I’m a huge fan of off and on. Ramping isn’t needed or required. That’s what I love about the ILLUMAGIC pixels. On. Off. That’s it. Can’t wait to see your frags take off. I love the orpheks, I run the OR3’s also. Smart move!

corals looks great!

I have those mounted on extreme angles to help illuminate the corals from the sides to eliminate some of the dead spots created with top down only LED lighting.

The blue color always looks so romantic and mysterious. I'm going to buy blue LEDs too.

Please let me know how you like em and for your corals that you moved from Radion to Orphak and other LED’s. It’s probably too early to tell but I’m following this thread.

I was planning on going to Radion from AI but I also am tinkering with LED positioning and trying to see the results first. Was radion not giving good spread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been using Orphek light bars for years and really love the color and growth. Moving to them exclusively should give me ridiculous PAR numbers but waiting on a reading from the club so I can post what I suspect from moving exclusively to the light bars.

I’m watching and learning here as well…. Your tank looks amazing and those corals to die for!!!

Are there any LFS that sell these around town or did you have to order them online? I am thinking about making the switch to these full time as well.

I’m watching and learning here as well…. Your tank looks amazing and those corals to die for!!!

daves coral are amazing. And if you want to check out ryan corals@billyocean omg the colors are stunning

Are there any LFS that sell these around town or did you have to order them online? I am thinking about making the switch to these full time as well.
I’m not sure that anyone has them locally. I’ve been ordering them directly from the Orphek site and usually the distributor they hook you up with might be able to offer some discounts such as open box items or just a flat discount on what you’re ordering.

Check out the quanta bars also.
I have checked them out but no real info in the lights, cant even see what wattage the LED's are (Orphek 's using 5w dual chip LED's) . They look nice but I've had such good luck with Orphek bars since I ditched the T5's.

I noticed their 3" bar uses 50% more power consumption than the similar 3' Orphek bar

I have checked them out but no real info in the lights, cant even see what wattage the LED's are (Orphek 's using 5w dual chip LED's) . They look nice but I've had such good luck with Orphek bars since I ditched the T5's.

I noticed their 3" bar uses 50% more power consumption than the similar 3' Orphek bar
It's all on their website. Don't get me wrong, I love orphek as well. In my opinion a panel style led or bars provides a better lighting as it doesn't come from a smaller/tighter starting point. Understandably this can be overcome by adding more pyck style lighting but panel and led lights spread are more t5ish in terms of consistency in par.

@dball711 how long have you been running them now. Have you noticed any difference between these the the xr15’s. What intensities where you running the radions?

Back