New member! Getting ready to start this crazy thing.

Markclaster

Market
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the welcome! Starting my first saltwater tank and almost have everything ready to get going. Thus far I have a 36G bowfront, RODI system, heater, rock, sand, Aquaclear 110. I have the basic light that came with the tank which should be fine for the cycling part but am looking for a good light that won't break the bank. Is there such a thing? I'm looking to keep a few fish and corals. Also I need a hang on back skimmer. (I don't need that to start cycling right?) Other than that, what am I missing? Total noob so input is always welcome! Looking forward to being part of the fun here!

Hi thanks for the welcome! Starting my first saltwater tank and almost have everything ready to get going. Thus far I have a 36G bowfront, RODI system, heater, rock, sand, Aquaclear 110. I have the basic light that came with the tank which should be fine for the cycling part but am looking for a good light that won't break the bank. Is there such a thing? I'm looking to keep a few fish and corals. Also I need a hang on back skimmer. (I don't need that to start cycling right?) Other than that, what am I missing? Total noob so input is always welcome! Looking forward to being part of the fun here!
Welcome to ARC and to the Hobby. You do not need a skimmer for the cycling part. And https://www.noopsycheusa.com/ seems to be a great light for the price. @scottw is the distributor for these. You can reach out to him for more information. Also try and get some test kits. The API saltwater kit is a good stater kits for basic test of the nitrogen cycle. And depending on what type of coral you want to keep you might want to get some Alkalinity and Calcium testing kits.

WELCOME!

I would add some sort of controller / safety net for your heater.

re: lights - what are your intentions for coral / photo-synthetic creatures?

Skimmer - the skimmer will need a little break in time - usually a week or so - but it won't really start doing anything until you have nutrients going in to the tank. I wouldn't worry about needing to start up a skimmer until after your cycled and you have at least 1 eating fish in the tank.

Biggest thing you can add to your system is patience. Ask questions here - plenty of local people with the smarts and willingness to help out!

Welcome to ARC and to the Hobby. You do not need a skimmer for the cycling part. And https://www.noopsycheusa.com/ seems to be a great light for the price. @scottw is the distributor for these. You can reach out to him for more information. Also try and get some test kits. The API saltwater kit is a good stater kits for basic test of the nitrogen cycle. And depending on what type of coral you want to keep you might want to get some Alkalinity and Calcium testing kits.
Thanks! I'll check out that light! Testing kit! Thanks for the reminder!

Do you have anything to mix your salt in? I dont have true mixing station but I have one Brute 20gal trashcan that only gets fresh RODI water that i installed a float valve to automatically stop my RODI system when it is full. I have another brute 20 gal that I mix my salt in. I use a small pump to mix the salt and then use it to transfer it into my tank. I also have a small heater in there to match water temps. Talking about salt... get a refractometer to measure your salinity. Make sure you get some calibration fluid for it to make sure it measures correctly. Im sure im missing something else. Im just thinking about everything I bought within the 8 months that I have been in the hobby.

WELCOME!

I would add some sort of controller / safety net for your heater.

re: lights - what are your intentions for coral / photo-synthetic creatures?

Skimmer - the skimmer will need a little break in time - usually a week or so - but it won't really start doing anything until you have nutrients going in to the tank. I wouldn't worry about needing to start up a skimmer until after your cycled and you have at least 1 eating fish in the tank.

Biggest thing you can add to your system is patience. Ask questions here - plenty of local people with the smarts and willingness to help out!
Thanks for the welcome! I bought the BRS heater with controller. I think as far as corals I'm starting off pretty basic. Zoas,leather, pulsing xenia, duncan, that kind of stuff. Still need to do more research on corals obviously.

Do you have anything to mix your salt in? I dont have true mixing station but I have one Brute 20gal trashcan that only gets fresh RODI water that i installed a float valve to automatically stop my RODI system when it is full. I have another brute 20 gal that I mix my salt in. I use a small pump to mix the salt and then use it to transfer it into my tank. I also have a small heater in there to match water temps. Talking about salt... get a refractometer to measure your salinity. Make sure you get some calibration fluid for it to make sure it measures correctly. Im sure im missing something else. Im just thinking about everything I bought within the 8 months that I have been in the hobby.
thank you! I was planning on the two trash can idea. Didn't think of the second heater and pump. Good call. Which pump and refractometer are you using?

thank you! I was planning on the two trash can idea. Didn't think of the second heater and pump. Good call. Which pump and refractometer are you using?
I couldn't tell you which one I use. Both came with the tank that I bought. But I would just find a small one pump on Amazon since you will not make that much as far as saltwater when you do water changes.
Aquastore Submersible Water Pump Ultra Quiet Fountain Water Pump with US Plug for Aquarium Fountain, Statuary, Pond,Fish Tank, Hydroponic (25W 400GPH) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YDXMQR1/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_fTFiEbE6K7ZX5 for example.

And as far as the refractometer a standard one on Amazon could work.

Salinity Refractometer for Seawater and Marine Fishkeeping Aquarium 0-100 PPT with Automatic Temperature Compensation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018LRO1SU/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_RUFiEb730XXHQ[CHARGE=][/CHARGE]

Also I have an extra bottle of calibration fluid that I'm not using if you want it. I'm not far from Loganville. I'm in Lithonia.

Last edited:
I don't see any wavemakers included in your description. The Aquaclear 110 may provide enough flow for some easy to keep corals but I would recommend getting a small wavemaker or two. On my 22 gallon I use a jebao Tw-10(pulse mode at 90%) and a RW-4(pulse mode at 20%). Whatever wavemaker you end up getting should be controllable due to some of them being way over-powered for a small tank.

I also agree with @ZapataInc The Noopsyche is a great light for the money. I used the cheapest light I could find(Hipargaro Aquaknight) for the first 7 months of my tank being set up. Once I started adding SPS I wasn't getting good coloration so I went with the Noopsyche.

Got those ordered! Thanks! I'll take you up on the fluid! I may be in that area soon.
I couldn't tell you which one I use. Both came with the tank that I bought. But I would just find a small one pump on Amazon since you will not make that much as far as saltwater when you do water changes.
Aquastore Submersible Water Pump Ultra Quiet Fountain Water Pump with US Plug for Aquarium Fountain, Statuary, Pond,Fish Tank, Hydroponic (25W 400GPH) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YDXMQR1/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_fTFiEbE6K7ZX5 for example.

And as far as the refractometer a standard one on Amazon could work.

Salinity Refractometer for Seawater and Marine Fishkeeping Aquarium 0-100 PPT with Automatic Temperature Compensation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018LRO1SU/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_RUFiEb730XXHQ[CHARGE=][/CHARGE]

Also I have an extra bottle of calibration fluid that I'm not using if you want it. I'm not far from Loganville. I'm in Lithonia.
i got those ordered! I’ll definitely take you up on the fluid.

Welcome! RIP your wallet!

A 36 bowfront is probably going to need a powerhead to move the water and eliminate dead space. Jebaos are a great price, but Vortechs are way nicer - especially with the motor outside (far easier to clean).
My wallet is already screaming and I don’t even have water yet
The price on the Jebao is nice but I was reading they leach plastic? Do I need two power heads? Or would one do it? I like the idea of having the cords out of the tank though

Back