New Nano Family

mtnclimbers5

Reaction score
Hello all,

Our family has just gotten an Oceanics 14g Biocube and would like to develop a nice peaceful nano-reef environment. My wife is currently battling advanced cancer and we all thought this would be a nice theraputic project to do together. We also have three <u>very excited</u> children about the project! We would like to keep some soft corals, mushrooms, etc and a couple of reef friendly fish. The tank is up and running now for 48 hrs with 16lbs. live sand and about 8lbs. live rock. I've read that the corals really need high flow and strong light to thirve and we currently are using the stock pump (137 gph) and lights (1x24w Actinic and 1x24w 10000) plus the little moon LED's. Can't really afford to upgrade the lights right now but could swing a pump with a higher flow rating if that would help, any suggestions?

Also, any suggestions on soft corals or livestock would be welcomed as I am completely new to this hobby! Look forward to participating in this great resource!

I am new also but it looks as if your off to a good start. This is a great place to get information on reefs and fish keeping. Welcome to the forums! I would recomend becoming a member it may help you save some money and it benefits the reef club too!

Welcome!!! Your setup should support most soft corals and some LPS (mine does quite well)!
If your in my area I'd be happy to supply ya a frag or two to kick ya off, when your tank is ready of course...

Just let me know!!!

Welcome Aboard!!! I Agree That Lighting Would Be Good For Lower Light Corals Like Mushrooms Softies Zoas And Things Of That Nature. Checking Out Arc Is A Good Start. When Your Waters Perameters Are In Check I'll Also Give You A Couple Of Frags! Once Again Welcome

Hey, Chicagoman 35 and ubfishy....what a great offer from you!!! Thanks for the generous offer to help us start up and we would appreciate it very much:thumbs: . Hopefully we'll raise them well enough to pass on a frag to another rookie in the future.

We live in DeKalb County so we are pretty much central to everything, so when I get water params stabilized I'll shout out. Tank has been running close to 72 hrs. now and seems to be setting up OK though I've had some issues getting the temp to stabilize. I'm also slightly high on the salinity so a little work to do there.

Do either of you have any suggestions on the pump question? I'm currently running the stock pump rated at 137 gph. Do you run a pump at a higher rating to help keep the soft corals, zoas, and such!

Chicagoman 35, I'm guessing you'll be glued to the tube on Sunday about 1pm!!

the stock pump should be fine but if need be you can add a small inexpensive power head anytime

I agree, your stock pump is fine. When your ready I have a hammer frag, colt baby, and some pulsing xenia.

Welcome to the forums. We host meetings every month (the 2nd tuesday of the month) in different locations. This next meeting (February) will be our Free Frag meeting for all ARC members. Every ARC member goes home with at least one frag.

Also, there will likely be frag swaping and frag donations at this meeting as well. Good luck with your tank and we will be more than happy to answer any of your questions.

Can you join the ARC at the meeting or is it required before attending?? Thanks for the welocome!!

kj_yoda wrote: Welcome to the forums. We host meetings every month (the 2nd tuesday of the month) in different locations. This next meeting (February) will be our Free Frag meeting for all ARC members. Every ARC member goes home with at least one frag.

Also, there will likely be frag swaping and frag donations at this meeting as well. Good luck with your tank and we will be more than happy to answer any of your questions.

Chicagoman 35, the frags sound like a great combination:yes: ! Thanks!

chicagoman_35 wrote: I agree, your stock pump is fine. When your ready I have a hammer frag, colt baby, and some pulsing xenia.

Everyone is invited to ARC meetings - no membership required and we'd love for you to join at the next meeting.

I'm having trouble getting the salinity in range?? I performed a 10% water change today just using R/O water without adding Instant Ocean and upon checking the salinity it has actually gone up slightly:wow2: ?!? Any suggestions?

Purchace A Refractometer Those Are More Acurate. Ebay Has Them Pretty Cheap

Refractometers are amazing and very acurate!. If it was my tank I would up the flow with a Maxi Jet 1200 that you can get for $20.00 from Foster Smith. I should have some mushrooms for you if you'd like them. I should have some Green Stripped one's soon. I sold them all at the last meeting. Welcome were all glad to have you here!

Swing arm hydrometers aren't very accurate, which may explain your problem. I was using one, and when I got a refractometer, I discovered that my salinity was actually about 10 ppm higher than I thought it was. Not very good for my inhabitants.

Maroon 15, thanks for the advice and the offer of the softies. Will PM when I get the tank parameters all settled in. I'll check into the refractomter and the Maxi Jet upgrade, but some have stated that my current flow is OK. What will the upgraded flow do for the salinity?

Maroons15 wrote: Refractometers are amazing and very acurate!. If it was my tank I would up the flow with a Maxi Jet 1200 that you can get for $20.00 from Foster Smith. I should have some mushrooms for you if you'd like them. I should have some Green Stripped one's soon. I sold them all at the last meeting. Welcome were all glad to have you here!

I've seen the test of the <span style="font-size: 13px;">S</span>wing <span style="font-size: 13px;">A</span>rm <span style="font-size: 13px;">H</span>ydrometers and it's not accurate at all. CBA opened ten SAH up and measured the salinity from the same tank. All ten were different. :confused2:

Back