New options for pressure rated pumps?

enderg60

Market
Reaction score
so I currently have a Coralife 1100p and 1740p (identical to Blue line 55hd and 70hd but red rather than yellow) and its time to replace them. The bearings are getting loud and the impeller housings have become to marred up even after cleaning.

The 1100p runs my main display which is 15' from the sump to the tank rim, and the 1740p runs all my reactors, skimmers and frag tanks(at 6' of head).

Are there any new options for pressure pumps? I see everyone loving DC pumps but I dont see any with high head capabilities.

Look at the Reeflo line if you need something that heavy duty. Also even though the Coralife pumps seem the same at the Bluelines... the Blueline have always lasted much longer and were much quieter for the long term compared to the Coralife pumps.

Deepwater dc pumps have around 20 head height.

The dolphin pumps with type 4 seals are indestructible. They will push twice the water compared to panworld,blueline, coralife or iwaki for the same wattage. If the seals do go out they are super easy to replace. dolphin I think offers a lifetime warranty on the type 4 seals. I had a whole pallet of their pumps that were 10 years old rebuilt by them. Stand up company and made in Florida.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. After much research Ive come to this.

I love reeflo(amazing customer service!) and dolphin pumps, but they dont make anything small enough for my application. I could use them and run the entire system off one pump if I got the smallest one, but I prefer to have dual pumps for redundancy.

Iwaki are nice but the jap motors make them more expensive then I feel is worth it over the Blue lines.

I checked out the Vectra L1 and it is the only DC pump I can find that has any sort of head pressure, but still not up to the specs I need....and the price is just too much to justify even if it was.

So looks like Ill be using the similar blue line pumps this time. I looked into rebuilding the coralife pumps, but the bearings, volute and impeller add up to just under $50 less than a new pump. So I simply ordered two new blue line pumps and I will use the existing ones as backups for cleaning time.

Considering I purchased both of my existing pumps used and ran them for 8 years, while spilling water on them here and there. Im happy with them and the bluelines are supposed to be higher quality too.

But thanks to all this research I may be replacing my baracuda pump on my closed loop with a DC pump soon.

I have a brand new, never been used Reeflo Hammerhead with extra Barracuda impeller as well. If you're interested in a new unit, not at new unit price, let me know.

Back