Reaction score
I've recently done some brainstorming on an app and website that
could benefit all reef enthusiast from beginner to experienced. It
would lean heavily on the community letting people from all over
converse together and share data rather than keep people focused
more on the region.

Don't get me wrong, I love the forums, but I crawl all over the
internet sometimes looking for information and good advice related
to setup and compatibility with different animals in my tanks.
I find generally when it comes to mixed information about who
likes to live with whom, it's best to get as much input as possible.
Also, I find it difficult sometimes to find a place to post videos
and photos of my tanks to share with friends.

The idea would be to have a location where you can:
- post your equipment, live stock, and substrate
- photos and videos
- view and follow other tanks and enthusiast
- communicate with others
- read, ask, and answer questions
- explore information about other animals and view ideal compatability

This would not be a replacement for visiting your local reef store, online
communities, or forums. This would be a tool for everyone to use in
combination with the tools we have grown to love. Of course, if the forums
become integrated and grow, I'd be happy to add to it, but it's not a goal
or a focus at the moment.

I'm looking for feedback on the idea, if there's a service that already
exists, and if anyone is interested in helping out with the development. I'm
eager for any feedback!

apipkin;970640 wrote: The idea would be to have a location where you can:
- post your equipment, live stock, and substrate
- photos and videos
- view and follow other tanks and enthusiast
- communicate with others
- read, ask, and answer questions
- explore information about other animals and view ideal compatability

Online websites/forums like this one, Reef Central, R2R, TRT, or any number of local and national reef and reef club websites do all this. Not sure what I am missing on your post, but it seems to me you are describing any of a number of already existing websites that do all of the above.

How would a "reef software/service" be any different than what already exists? Curious.

acroholic;970648 wrote: online websites/forums like this one, reef central, r2r, trt, or any number of local and national reef and reef club websites do all this. Not sure what i am missing on your post, but it seems to me you are describing any of a number of already existing websites that do all of the above.

How would a "reef software/service" be any different than what already exists? Curious.

+1

Thanks for the feedback! Maybe what I'm describing is already out there. I'll look at these other clubs and see. A large centralized database for animals and that show where they are located and what they are compatible with is at these places as well? I'm really new to the hobby and many of the things I've been looking for I wasn't able to find so I figured if give it a shot and see if there was any more interest in the idea

Here is a compatibility chart from the leader in healthy, online fish sales:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm">http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm</a>

Tons more out there as well. As to where a fish has its habitat, a Google search under the common or Latin name will get you all the info you need. There is a good experience base here at the ARC website, but check out the larger, national reef websites as well. The website only, non reef club sites have their good and bad points, but they have a lot of info, and an international membership numbering in the hundreds of thousands.

I do wish there was site besides Liveaquaria with the info Liveaquaria puts up, like a "fish-wikipedia", with pictures at various life stages, behavior, care requirements, typical prices, seasonal availability, cautions as to sourcing, etc. for all the fish, inverts, corals, etc. WetWebMedia has quite a bit of this kind of info, but their organization of it is terrible.

It would be great if the site was non-commercial enough that the LFS would be okay posting a QR-code link to the info for each fish/coral/invert they have in stock. I feel weird checking Liveaquaria when I'm standing in a LFS, but often times when I've checked it afterwards, I've found really good info that the LFS employee did not give when asked, and some times directly contradicted-- like whether a fish does better in a school or singly.

Also, I can see what the OP is looking for. As has been pointed out, the info is generally already out there, but I don't think the organization of it is very good. The forums are driven by general user forum software, not by "reef-aquarium aware" software-- maybe just add-ons to the current forum systems could add some capabilities. How about a plugin that lets you show your Apex data or tank video feed in on your profile page? How about a search capability that tells you which members have a certain fish or coral? I don't know if the popular forum systems are architected such that third party add-on are easy to do like they are for content management systems like Drupal for example.

I see question-response forums as a part of the equation, but just a component of what might be possible and useful.

Another way to look at it would be to have all the "other stuff" as a separate app, decoupled from the forum, but then pull in the info from forums like Tapatalk does-- let the forums continue to do what they do, but make a different/better presentation app with more capability.

@MorganAtlanta, yeah that's really what it would be for. Basically better organization for information that's available to every one now &#8211; in an easy to grok and browse way. For instance, if you are looking up a specific fish, you could see information about that fish (diet, water temperature, flow, etc) as well as link to pictures of tanks with it, and a list of members with them in tanks. Then you could follow to a user's tank, find other fish and then continue the process. It's really more about discovery and ease of access.

I also think it would be really good to go to a LFS and say, "this is my tank, what would you recommend I put in it?" Then you are leveraging the LFS expertise and they could also see your equipment and make in house recommendations based on something they see &#8211; like "you don't have enough flow in the tank for the coral you have listed hear" or something like that.

As for the compatibility chart, the one on live aquaria is really good, but difficult to see at a glance. It'd also be nice to be able to pick out a fish that's compatible with the two fish you already have easily. I'm certainly not saying this can't be done now, it's just a matter of how easy it is to get the information.

Ideally, this wouldn't be a tool to replace forums at all (although I do wish Tapatalk would actually work on my phone), not unless that's seen as something that would benefit everyone.

MorganAtlanta;970681 wrote: I do wish there was site besides Liveaquaria with the info Liveaquaria puts up, like a "fish-wikipedia", with pictures at various life stages, behavior, care requirements, typical prices, seasonal availability, cautions as to sourcing, etc. for all the fish, inverts, corals, etc. WetWebMedia has quite a bit of this kind of info, but their organization of it is terrible.

It would be great if the site was non-commercial enough that the LFS would be okay posting a QR-code link to the info for each fish/coral/invert they have in stock. I feel weird checking Liveaquaria when I'm standing in a LFS, but often times when I've checked it afterwards, I've found really good info that the LFS employee did not give when asked, and some times directly contradicted-- like whether a fish does better in a school or singly.

Also, I can see what the OP is looking for. As has been pointed out, the info is generally already out there, but I don't think the organization of it is very good. The forums are driven by general user forum software, not by "reef-aquarium aware" software-- maybe just add-ons to the current forum systems could add some capabilities. How about a plugin that lets you show your Apex data or tank video feed in on your profile page? How about a search capability that tells you which members have a certain fish or coral? I don't know if the popular forum systems are architected such that third party add-on are easy to do like they are for content management systems like Drupal for example.

I see question-response forums as a part of the equation, but just a component of what might be possible and useful.

Another way to look at it would be to have all the "other stuff" as a separate app, decoupled from the forum, but then pull in the info from forums like Tapatalk does-- let the forums continue to do what they do, but make a different/better presentation app with more capability.

apipkin;970687 wrote: @MorganAtlanta, yeah that's really what it would be for. Basically better organization for information that's available to every one now – in an easy to grok and browse way. For instance, if you are looking up a specific fish, you could see information about that fish (diet, water temperature, flow, etc) as well as link to pictures of tanks with it, and a list of members with them in tanks. Then you could follow to a user's tank, find other fish and then continue the process. It's really more about discovery and ease of access.

I also think it would be really good to go to a LFS and say, "this is my tank, what would you recommend I put in it?" Then you are leveraging the LFS expertise and they could also see your equipment and make in house recommendations based on something they see – like "you don't have enough flow in the tank for the coral you have listed hear" or something like that.

As for the compatibility chart, the one on live aquaria is really good, but difficult to see at a glance. It'd also be nice to be able to pick out a fish that's compatible with the two fish you already have easily. I'm certainly not saying this can't be done now, it's just a matter of how easy it is to get the information.

Ideally, this wouldn't be a tool to replace forums at all (although I do wish Tapatalk would actually work on my phone), not unless that's seen as something that would benefit everyone.

If you have the ability to develop something like this, then I would go for it. But there are things about the reef hobby that would need to be kept in the forefront of anyone's mind using such an application or doing research on the hobby.

And I will say the following are just my opinions, but I have not seen any different in the years I have been in the reef hobby.

-There is no such thing as "it has to be done this way" in the reef hobby. There are many different ways of doing things and achieving a particular goal regarding any type of reef tank.

-Much of what you read related to the reef hobby on the internet is just information, not factual, and most based on opinion or anecdotal observation. Developing the ability to filter through this is very important for any reefer. Take any of the databases concerning fish you guys mentioned. Look up any tang species, and they will listed it as herbivorous. This is simply not true in a reef tank. In a reef tank, every tang I have ever owned will eat frozen meaty food, so in a reef tank they are omnivorous, not herbivorous. Outside of primary predation on other fish, inverts or corals, whether a fish is reef compatible is very questionable. Some Reefers keep large marine angels without issue, others cannot. In some cases, the same species would not work in one setup whereas it would in another. Sometimes you just won't know until you put said fish in your tank. Reef compatible "with caution" means it might or might not work.

-Take any reefkeeping advice you get from any LFS with a grain of salt based on your own experience or the additional advice of Reefers you trust if you don't have an extensive amount of experience. You don't know who is just on the clock, or who really doesn't know anything and is just repeating or regurgitating misinformation they have been told or read. You may get very good advice, but you may get junk as well. This applies to anyone giving you advice, not just LFS Staff, but there can also be the economic incentive to sell you something not necessarily in your tanks best interest in the case of a LFS.

-If you want to just go to a LFS and say "what should I put in my reef tank?", then you have not done enough preparatory work. There are literally hundreds of fish and corals that can go in a reef, and if you have no idea of what you want or the direction you wish to go in, then you need to do more reading.

-There is a huge lack of pure scientific research done for the reef hobby, so fellow hobbyist experience is the main thing we draw from. That is where Forums come in handy. Outside of proven scientific principles, like acids/bases, the composition of NSW, calcium levels, alkalinity, etc, most advances in the reef hobby have come from Reefers reporting what happened when they did X. This is a double edged sword, because many fallacies take on the appearance of fact in this hobby because of it, like the x pounds of live rock per gallon, or one inch of fish per gallon, etc. But many positive advances have come about as a result of anecdotal observation, like using Interceptor for redbugs, or Bayer dips for AEFWs, or fluke tabs for clove polyps, or Tech M to treat Bryopsis.

-This hobby is mainly self-serve regarding knowing what to do and not do. And there is no single "must do" formula or plan for success in this hobby. If I had to pick one area of the hobby I have learned the most from, ranging from equipment to livestock care requirements, chemistry, or almost any other area in the hobby, it is the experiences of other Reefkeepers. The Forums and experienced LFS staff are the most important asset this hobby has for anyone new and wanting to learn about keeping a reef tank. But with these sources, anyone researching has to be aware that there is as much cr@p information on the web about reefkeeping as there is good information, and knowing what is what usually comes from time in the hobby.

Acroholic;970847 wrote: If you have the ability to develop something like this, then I would go for it. But there are things about the reef hobby that would need to be kept in the forefront of anyone's mind using such an application or doing research on the hobby.

And I will say the following are just my opinions, but I have not seen any different in the years I have been in the reef hobby.

-There is no such thing as "it has to be done this way" in the reef hobby. There are many different ways of doing things and achieving a particular goal regarding any type of reef tank.

-Much of what you read related to the reef hobby on the internet is just information, not factual, and most based on opinion or anecdotal observation. Developing the ability to filter through this is very important for any reefer. Take any of the databases concerning fish you guys mentioned. Look up any tang species, and they will listed it as herbivorous. This is simply not true in a reef tank. In a reef tank, every tang I have ever owned will eat frozen meaty food, so in a reef tank they are omnivorous, not herbivorous. Outside of primary predation on other fish, inverts or corals, whether a fish is reef compatible is very questionable. Some Reefers keep large marine angels without issue, others cannot. In some cases, the same species would not work in one setup whereas it would in another. Sometimes you just won't know until you put said fish in your tank. Reef compatible "with caution" means it might or might not work.

-Take any reefkeeping advice you get from any LFS with a grain of salt based on your own experience or the additional advice of Reefers you trust if you don't have an extensive amount of experience. You don't know who is just on the clock, or who really doesn't know anything and is just repeating or regurgitating misinformation they have been told or read. You may get very good advice, but you may get junk as well. This applies to anyone giving you advice, not just LFS Staff, but there can also be the economic incentive to sell you something not necessarily in your tanks best interest in the case of a LFS.

-If you want to just go to a LFS and say "what should I put in my reef tank?", then you have not done enough preparatory work. There are literally hundreds of fish and corals that can go in a reef, and if you have no idea of what you want or the direction you wish to go in, then you need to do more reading.

-There is a huge lack of pure scientific research done for the reef hobby, so fellow hobbyist experience is the main thing we draw from. That is where Forums come in handy. Outside of proven scientific principles, like acids/bases, the composition of NSW, calcium levels, alkalinity, etc, most advances in the reef hobby have come from Reefers reporting what happened when they did X. This is a double edged sword, because many fallacies take on the appearance of fact in this hobby because of it, like the x pounds of live rock per gallon, or one inch of fish per gallon, etc. But many positive advances have come about as a result of anecdotal observation, like using Interceptor for redbugs, or Bayer dips for AEFWs, or fluke tabs for clove polyps, or Tech M to treat Bryopsis.

-This hobby is mainly self-serve regarding knowing what to do and not do. And there is no single "must do" formula or plan for success in this hobby. If I had to pick one area of the hobby I have learned the most from, ranging from equipment to livestock care requirements, chemistry, or almost any other area in the hobby, it is the experiences of other Reefkeepers. The Forums and experienced LFS staff are the most important asset this hobby has for anyone new and wanting to learn about keeping a reef tank. But with these sources, anyone researching has to be aware that there is as much cr@p information on the web about reefkeeping as there is good information, and knowing what is what usually comes from time in the hobby.

Dave's guide to internet reefing. Well said.

Acroholic;970847 wrote: If you have the ability to develop something like this, then I would go for it. But there are things about the reef hobby that would need to be kept in the forefront of anyone's mind using such an application or doing research on the hobby.

Very well said, that's what makes this hobby so fun! There is no one way to do things, you have the freedom to try new things, sometimes it may fail other times it might be amazing.

Well said Dave. I think something that could be added is in your user profile we could list the type of fish we keep and coral. That way if someone is thinking about getting one you could look up and see who has what and get there imput on it. Granted like Dave said, just about every fish, coral, tank and equipment works different than the next guy. But you can get a better base asking those members than looking just at the sometimes vauge liveaquaria statement. For this reason you couldnt have a one source for all info. Learning from those who have thrived and failed can you get the best info on a forum.

phnman372;971008 wrote: Well said Dave. I think something that could be added is in your user profile we could list the type of fish we keep and coral. That way if someone is thinking about getting one you could look up and see who has what and get there imput on it. Granted like Dave said, just about every fish, coral, tank and equipment works different than the next guy. But you can get a better base asking those members than looking just at the sometimes vauge liveaquaria statement. For this reason you couldnt have a one source for all info. Learning from those who have thrived and failed can you get the best info on a forum.

That would be helpful about the user profile having what we maintain, but how accurate they would remain after initial setup might be a bit questionable, as it is up to the User to maintain it. I haven't looked at my profile in years, personally.

Very true, but if their was a way to search that, you could get first hand knowledge (good or bad) from someone who has owned one in the past or present. You can post a question in a section on the forum but not all members cruise all the forums to answer if you post. I think it is alot of work to get there but we would be taking a step to provide more info than other web forums. So only problem would be is someone not updating what the own after they first submitt it. No need to remove a fish or coral if you lost or sold. That info the person provides is priceless. Even if it is correct or not it was their experience and you can decide on the info given.

phnman372;971043 wrote: Very true, but if their was a way to search that, you could get first hand knowledge (good or bad) from someone who has owned one in the past or present. You can post a question in a section on the forum but not all members cruise all the forums to answer if you post. I think it is alot of work to get there but we would be taking a step to provide more info than other web forums. So only problem would be is someone not updating what the own after they first submitt it. No need to remove a fish or coral if you lost or sold. That info the person provides is priceless. Even if it is correct or not it was their experience and you can decide on the info given.

It would be a big help.:yes:

I looked on my profile and couldn't find a good place to put that info. I wonder if creating another fourm title would work where only the creator can post their info and update it as time goes by. Someone other than the OP couldn't comment on it but open only to the OP for adding to the list. This way you can do a search just in that fourm and you would get a list of who has what your looking for. So if you were thinking of getting say a Dragon Wrasse you could simply type that into the search and look under "Members Livestock". Again don't delete your list if it dies or you sell it so you can provide feedback to who is thinking of getting that type of Wrasse.

We need journals. If you hit the back button, and look at at the forum "reef discussion", that is exactly what your journal would look like. Each user has an icon underneath their avatar to the left of each post, and a separate link in their profile linking to their journal. Each user has moderator privileges in their own journal. You can sticky a thread, choose who can see a specific thread, who can comment on a specific thread, make a read-only thread, delete threads, delete comments, move things around, whatever. It's your space. You could sticky "My livestock" at the very top.

This encourages members to post more about themselves, their systems, etc. it can even be set up to when you post a comment on a thread in a users journal, that thread shows up in your "new posts" list like any other thread.

The vBulletin code is out there, somewhere!

On another note, I'd probably use an app like that.

JDavid;971080 wrote: We need journals. If you hit the back button, and look at at the forum "reef discussion", that is exactly what your journal would look like. Each user has an icon underneath their avatar to the left of each post, and a separate link in their profile linking to their journal. Each user has moderator privileges in their own journal. You can sticky a thread, choose who can see a specific thread, who can comment on a specific thread, make a read-only thread, delete threads, delete comments, move things around, whatever. It's your space. You could sticky "My livestock" at the very top.

This encourages members to post more about themselves, their systems, etc. it can even be set up to when you post a comment on a thread in a users journal, that thread shows up in your "new posts" list like any other thread.

The vBulletin code is out there, somewhere!

On another note, I'd probably use an app like that.

That is it! That is what we need. That would set us apart from the others. Just need someone smarter than me to figure how to do just that.:up: The biggest advantage is to be able to search all journals and find that info you need. I would think it would be one of the most used tools we would have.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69538">http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69538</a>

May not be compatible with our version but it's written for a previous version so it may work. Only Giuliano can do something like this

Acroholic;970847 wrote: ..-<span style="color: Red">There is a huge lack of pure scientific research done for the reef hobby,</span> so fellow hobbyist experience is the main thing we draw from. That is where Forums come in handy. Outside of proven scientific principles, like acids/bases, the composition of NSW, calcium levels, alkalinity, etc, most advances in the reef hobby have come from Reefers reporting what happened when they did X. This is a double edged sword, because many fallacies take on the appearance of fact in this hobby because of it, like the x pounds of live rock per gallon, or one inch of fish per gallon, etc. But many positive advances have come about as a result of anecdotal observation, like using Interceptor for redbugs, or Bayer dips for AEFWs, or fluke tabs for clove polyps, or Tech M to treat Bryopsis...

The highlighted statement is not true. There is a ton of pure scientific research that has been done and that is being done. However, it's really not presented to hobbyists and not easily available to them either.

Also, science is VERY quickly drowned out by the forum keyboard warriors and anecdotal champions. There are very very few professionals that are active on any forum outside of their local reef clubs and even then, they don't post very much.

Many years ago, we had planned a wiki feature here on the ARC. I know Brandon and I had written a couple of articles, but I don't recall either of us uploading them and other than a few of us, there was very little interest in contributing to the wiki. I think it was deactivated (or rather, never activated as such). This was a long time ago, though, so I don't remember all of the details.

Back