New Reef Software/Service idea

Acroholic wrote: ..-There is a huge lack of pure scientific research done for the reef hobby, so fellow hobbyist experience is the main thing we draw from. That is where Forums come in handy. Outside of proven scientific principles, like acids/bases, the composition of NSW, calcium levels, alkalinity, etc, most advances in the reef hobby have come from Reefers reporting what happened when they did X. This is a double edged sword, because many fallacies take on the appearance of fact in this hobby because of it, like the x pounds of live rock per gallon, or one inch of fish per gallon, etc. But many positive advances have come about as a result of anecdotal observation, like using Interceptor for redbugs, or Bayer dips for AEFWs, or fluke tabs for clove polyps, or Tech M to treat Bryopsis...

Skriz;971092 wrote: The highlighted statement is not true. There is a ton of pure scientific research that has been done and that is being done. However, it's really not presented to hobbyists and not easily available to them either.

Also, science is VERY quickly drowned out by the forum keyboard warriors and anecdotal champions. There are very very few professionals that are active on any forum outside of their local reef clubs and even then, they don't post very much.

Many years ago, we had planned a wiki feature here on the ARC. I know Brandon and I had written a couple of articles, but I don't recall either of us uploading them and other than a few of us, there was very little interest in contributing to the wiki. I think it was deactivated (or rather, never activated as such). This was a long time ago, though, so I don't remember all of the details.

Then, for all practical purposes related to reef hobbyists, it is a true statement. You work in the industry, so maybe you have access those of us that do not don't have. If the average reefer can't get to it and it is not made available, then it is as good as not there.

I think what he was meaning is info you can easily find that is more than what Liveaquaria has on it. Also as stated earlier the fact that alot of mis-information is out there and here. Yes sure there are people whom self earned PHD will think that they are speaking the Gospel. We are just talking about other members who has had first hand knowledge of each creature. That would cut out the " <span style="color: Red">keyboard warriors and anecdotal champions</span>". You would only get their point of view, not an opinion from someone that has never had one in the first place. Commenting based only on peter principal would be cut out. You only ask those who have had one and what their experience with it was. Info.... You decide what to do with it when you get it.:shades:

I mean really.... A 6th grader has schooled how many "scientist" on lionfish? (Sure mom and dad were) just info that we can get readily.

There are a few examples of people that really know what they are talking about that are still on the Forums. Randy Farley, who has probably written more articles about reef chemistry and provided the foundation for more Reefers' chemistry knowledge base than anyone else in the hobby or industry, is currently active on the large national reef website chemistry forum. There are a couple other very knowledgable staffers on that forum as well.

Here is an an example of what I am saying which just happened in the last couple weeks. This may be boring or inconsequential to some, but I found it of great interest, as it corrected what was a widespread belief that is basically taken for fact (by me as well) in this hobby. I use a sulfur denitrator to lower my tank nitrate levels. These devices are constructed like a calcium reactor, with a recirc pump, but they hold yellow sulfur media, and they do not have an inlet for CO2 like a calcium reactor, only an effluent in and effluent out port.

The popular theory behind sulfur denitrators is you pass a low flow rate of tank water through the reactor, and the sulfur is colonized by bacteria that use the sulfur for fuel. Over time, the reactor interior becomes anoxic, or low in oxygen, and eventually anaerobic bacteria colonize the sulfur media. The anaerobic bacteria consume the sulfur and break the oxygen molecule off the nitrate (NO3), after which the nitrogen molecule is freed as nitrogen gas after it leaves the denitrator. This is true regarding how a denitrator works, but what was also considered as fact was that exposure to oxygen in the water would kill these anaerobic nitrate consuming bacteria, say, for example, you spiked the flow rate through the reactor and introduced too much dissolved oxygen into the denitrator, meaning these anaerobic bacteria can only grow and thrive in a low or almost zero oxygen level environment.

Well, this is apparently not true. The primary bacteria thought to be present in sulfur denitrators are called chemolithoautotrophic facultative anaerobes, meaning they consume free oxygen first, and in the absence of free oxygen, they then switch to nitrate (NO3) for their oxygen source.

So when you are tuning in a sulfur denitrator with increasing effluent rates, and you hit that wall when you cannot go any higher because you start to get &gt;0 nitrate levels in the reactor effluent, it is not because the increased flow rate and more dissolved oxygen in the water going through the reactor is killing the anaerobic bacteria. It is because they have switched to the easier to get free oxygen you are now flowing through the denitrator and not consuming nitrate any more, or consuming less nitrate now that there is more free oxygen in the water as well, which is easier to use than oxygen from nitrate.

Also, cycling denitrators were always thought to show initially high nitrate levels in the effluent when they were just started up, much higher tan the current system nitrate level, but that is not true either. The nitrate test kits are showing false positives from excess nitrite levels in the denitrator effluent, not excess nitrate. Where would the high levels of nitrate come from? Nowhere would be the answer.

Amazing how the mechanism of how something in this hobby works can be misunderstood and pass as fact, when it is really not true at all.

Skriz;971092 wrote: The highlighted statement is not true. There is a ton of pure scientific research that has been done and that is being done. However, it's really not presented to hobbyists and not easily available to them either.

Also, science is VERY quickly drowned out by the forum keyboard warriors and anecdotal champions. There are very very few professionals that are active on any forum outside of their local reef clubs and even then, they don't post very much.

Many years ago, we had planned a wiki feature here on the ARC. I know Brandon and I had written a couple of articles, but I don't recall either of us uploading them and other than a few of us, there was very little interest in contributing to the wiki. I think it was deactivated (or rather, never activated as such). This was a long time ago, though, so I don't remember all of the details.

I see many of these articles that I believe (could be wrong, though) that you are talking about on facebook, and various electronic mags and sites. but then again we have many mutual friends....

there are like 400 million reef forums on facebook, most suck, but a few are delicious!

I don't use Facebook, so maybe I am missing some of them. Best online reef hobby science source I usually see is Advanced Aquarist.

Back