New Skimmer Set Up?

texhorns98

Market
Reaction score
OK, so my new Octopus Extreme 160 is coming tomorrow. Anyone have any tips for the install? I've seen some people run it in a vinegar solution, just curious about how to set it up and when to look to make any adjustments, etc. This is my first skimmer, BTW.

rinse with RO water and plumb it in. Vinegar is only to remove salt deposits and crud after it's been in use a long time.
I have the same unit, the outflow is a bit finicky to adjust at first, you'll see it firsthand.
If you don't have experience setting one up, dropping the feed pump in a bucket of water in a tote or sink is advised so you don't create a mess when it overflows while you figure it out.

Yikes! What do you mean by "the output is a bit finicky"? Also, when you say plumb it in, I'm not sure what you mean. Mine is going in the sump. Are you running yours externally?

I have the 200 model. There is not a lot to setup, just put it together and drop it in the sump. I have no idea how this can be plumed outside... You'll have to adjust the output pipe so the top of the foam is just at the rim where the cup connects to the body. Then sit and watch.
The only thing to monitor and adjust is the output pipe to skim the way you like (wet or dry). Oh, and cleaning the cup weekly...

OK, I just set up my OctoExtreme 250 like a week ago. Out of the box and put together in about 10 minutes. I did take it upstairs to do a "test-run" in the bathtub before putting it in my 100g stocktank. Absolutely no problems. So simple, I bet even a man can do it. :D

you will have to assemble the parts and do some gluing to get it leak-free.
You will need pipe tape and PVC glue, and a couple hose clamps and 1/2" hose and a lift pump to feed it or tee off your return line.

I use the remote drain method and can fill a gallon jug with scum in a couple days.
I'd prefer not to imagine the funk after a week..

wbrown;328188 wrote: you will have to assemble the parts and do some gluing to get it leak-free.
You will need pipe tape and PVC glue, and a couple hose clamps and 1/2" hose and a lift pump to feed it or tee off your return line.

You've lost me...mine is going in the sump.

IMG_1584.jpg
alt="" /></a>

This thing is bigger than I thought, for sure! Don't know why everyone uses a Coke can for size reference, but I followed suit.

IMG_1585.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Had to build a little stand for it since my skimmer section is 12 inches deep. Apparently, these skimmers perform best in 8-10 inches of water. The stand is 3 inches tall putting the skimmer at about 9 inches with water displacement, etc.

IMG_1587.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Had to do some serious wiggling to get everything in there. Luckily, I didn't have to trim any of the drain pipes and now my filter sock actually stays on better than before. The collection cup has easy access, but it's still a little tight. I imagine that it will get easier the more times it's removed.

IMG_1588.jpg
alt="" /></a>

I don't know much about skimmers, really...this is my first one. But, it seems like it's making a good amount of tiny bubbles.

I need to know if I have the water going up high enough though. I adjusted it at first to meet the bottom of the collection cup. Over the past 30 minutes or so, it's risen to a few inches inside the the cup itself. Not spilling over, mind you, but on the inside of the collection cup. Normal or do I need to open up the stand pipe a bit more?

Back it off a bit since it's still breaking in so that the level stays at the bottom of the cup, after a while it will find it's sweet spot where you shouldn't have to adjust it much. I didn't actually glue or tape anything on my 250, but one thing I did notice was that at times it did output noticeable microbubbles to the point that my bubble trap didn't eliminate them all. I just slapped a filter sock over it and that fixed it immediately.

DrNecropolis;328209 wrote: Weekly? Jeez I clean my 150 almost daily..:sick:

Man you must be skimming really wet, either that or I better get the external collection setup before I start stocking this thing.

Thanks Mike, I'm adjusting it every once in a while now and will continue to do so until it stabilizes. It hasn't thrown one single microbubble yet, but who knows if that will last. Also, I unplugged and replugged it in several times. No issue with the mesh wheel jamming up at all. I still might buy one of those purple needlewheels just to see if there's a difference. How long until I start seeing some goo out of this thing? :)

molson;328814 wrote: Man you must be skimming really wet, either that or I better get the external collection setup before I start stocking this thing.
This is a few hours after cleaning it right after I got it

100_0623.jpg
alt="" />

Dr.,

Your bubbles look to be going up higher than mine. Should I adjust until they get up inside that inner chamber? If so, how do you take the collection cup off without spilling poo everywhere?

texhorns98;328948 wrote: Dr.,

Your bubbles look to be going up higher than mine. Should I adjust until they get up inside that inner chamber? If so, how do you take the collection cup off without spilling poo everywhere?

LOL.. Very carefully and slowly..

I would wait until after its broke in for sure.. I skim rather wet but it pulls nasty nasty stufff out..that much is apparent

IMG_1625.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Here it i about 68 hours into running. Does this look OK or do I need to adjust something? I'm seeing the "coffee", when will I see the good stuff?

Are you supposed to turn it off when you take the cup off for cleaning? I started to, but a little foam was spilling over the sides of the skimmer. Seems a shame to dirty it up with salt creep already!! :)

Back