New Skimmer Set Up?

I have the same skimmer and ****ING LOVE IT! The octopus skimmers are hard to beat. Mine does a wonderfull job of skimming my 65g reef! I leave the skimmer running when i clean the collection cup. Don't be afraid of getting it diryt, it skims poop for a living....lol.

I'll slide the stand pipe a hair more towards open so the water level drops and remove the cup to clean it while its running for every day maintenance. Seems to work pretty well and have the regular setting marked on the pipe to set it back as soon as I'm done without too much effort.

Good idea, Mike. D you suggest I run with the water level right at the base of the cup all the time then? I'll wait a week or so before I mark the spot, just in case it changes as the skimmer breaks in.

How long before I get "mud" in there? All I'm getting now is dark, tea colored water.

So that would mean lowering the water level in the skimmer a bit then? Sorry, I'm new to this.

The purple pin wheels do seem to have a little bit more of a kick to them as well. Got one installed this afternoon over lunch and not only fixed the restart problem with the pump but I had to dial down the standpipe because it was pushing the water level higher than with the original wheel.

Back