New Tank Build 280 gal

cbarria

Reaction score
So I think I've convinced my wife to let me build a new tank. I had to basically start with a 600 gal monster... so I could get it down to something more reasonable, such as a 280 gal and get her approval ;-)

I wan to stick to glass and keep it at 280g. I would like to use starphire for the front panel, as this will be an in-wall tank. These are the dimensions I'm thinking: 96l 32w 21h. I would like to have an external overflow along the entire length of the tank too.

So I have a couple of questions.

1- What do you think of the dimensions? Any obvious issues I should consider? I know it is a long tank.

2- Where can I get it from? Ideally, I would get it locally unless it was substantially cheaper to get it from a reputable internet dealer. I've heard too many conflicting stories on glasscages.com, so I'm a little hesitant to go with them.

3- The tank will be situated in the basement. The fish room is going to share space with our furnace/tank water heater. It is an unfinished room, so I'm worried about evaporation. I've heard evaporation is not really an issue until you get into the 400+ gal range, but I'm not sure. The last thing I need is to ruin our house due to mold, etc. The basement stays at a pretty constant 70-72F in the summer and can go as low as 62 F in winter. I will have a sink build so I can do easy water changes too. I plan to have a 29g refugium and a 65g sump too. There mey be a future 40g frag tank too. So, any issues with the location of the tank?

Any suggestions are welcome too!

Thanks,

buy my 300 gall tank...!!!! save your money, and i'll even drop it off to your place!!

Jamie, link your FS thread because that's a great option...the starfire is a very nice touch.

cbarria it would be a very wise to buy slayer77's tank!! He is a great club member and full of GOOD info...

just my $.02

Jason

If it is a gas water heater you need to make sure it is vented at least 2 time better than you think it needs to be.I use to keep ro water out in our utility room and started having big problems, when I removed the water the problem went away. Then when I had my snake I use to keep feeder rats out there but they would always die in a couple of days. Our water heater is vented per code, so it is some thing to think about.

It is a gas water heater. What sort of problems were you having with the water?

Jaandgc;182345 wrote: If it is a gas water heater you need to make sure it is vented at least 2 time better than you think it needs to be.I use to keep ro water out in our utility room and started having big problems, when I removed the water the problem went away. Then when I had my snake I use to keep feeder rats out there but they would always die in a couple of days. Our water heater is vented per code, so it is some thing to think about.

Do you know of any local dealers who can custom build the tank?

dawgdude;182239 wrote: Ive worked in the industry and I would never get a large tank from glass cages. If I wanted a cheap smaller tank, maybe. But nothing over 40-50 gallons. With a tank that size, drop the extra dough and get a NICE tank made from a reputable dealer that will stick by their work. How much damage to a house you think 280 gallons could do? If you need some help them feel free to shot me a pm.

As far as the evap concerns. There are MANY people who have had major mold problems and dont have 400+. I would be also concerned with a tank being open in an unfinished area and contaiminens and chemicals getting in the tank from the air. As for the sink, its good to have in a fish area, but I would just have your RODI unit plumbed in to the house with a very reliable shut off system.

I don't know for sure , but ro water is like a spunge it can pull all kinds of gasses/ pollutants out of the air. The fact that the rats kept dying leads me to think it was an excess co2 or carbon monoxide problem. Of coarse extra co2 should have left the water before it did any harm to the tank. Who know I just don't store anything live in there any more.

Any other recommendations on where can I get a tank made?

cbarria;182238 wrote: So I think I've convinced my wife to let me build a new tank. I had to basically start with a 600 gal monster... so I could get it down to something more reasonable, such as a 280 gal and get her approval ;-)

I wan to stick to glass and keep it at 280g. I would like to use starphire for the front panel, as this will be an in-wall tank. These are the dimensions I'm thinking: 96l 32w 21h. I would like to have an external overflow along the entire length of the tank too.

So I have a couple of questions.

1- What do you think of the dimensions? Any obvious issues I should consider? I know it is a long tank.

2- Where can I get it from? Ideally, I would get it locally unless it was substantially cheaper to get it from a reputable internet dealer. I've heard too many conflicting stories on glasscages.com, so I'm a little hesitant to go with them.

3- The tank will be situated in the basement. The fish room is going to share space with our furnace/tank water heater. It is an unfinished room, so I'm worried about evaporation. I've heard evaporation is not really an issue until you get into the 400+ gal range, but I'm not sure. The last thing I need is to ruin our house due to mold, etc. The basement stays at a pretty constant 70-72F in the summer and can go as low as 62 F in winter. I will have a sink build so I can do easy water changes too. I plan to have a 29g refugium and a 65g sump too. There mey be a future 40g frag tank too. So, any issues with the location of the tank?

Any suggestions are welcome too!

Thanks,

The other issue with this arrangement is a potential heat problem. My mechanical room is hot, especially in the summer, and a dehumidifier will add more heat to the room. Couple that with heat gain from lights and it could be an issue. You might need to vent the heat somehow, or open up some air ducts into this space.

And I agree with the others....you should buy Jaime's tank!

Back