New tank questions

gtox44

Market
Reaction score
I finally set up my tank today. I had only water in it for a week. But I have a few questions about starting this thing. Am I supposed to clean off the LR? It has a lot of stuff on it. Also, am I supposed to have the skimmer on right now? I have the skimmer, HOB filter with carbon, power heads, and light all going right now.

Congrats on getting it started! Where did you get the live rock? If it was from someone's tank and it has algae on it you might want to scrup it, but otherwise I think I would just leave it in and let it all run. Depending on the shape of the live rock you may or may not get a cycle and you may or may not go through a diatom cycle. Both are natural occurances and must run their course.

I would go ahead and run the skimmer and everything else including lights so you can see any hitchhikers on the rock.

What Bud said. Do you know about 'the cycle'? I'm not talking about the female reproductive system, Eric.

hahahahaha yeah I do. I had a freshwater tank. And I've been doing a little research. I was just unsure of a couple things.

JessPete;330553 wrote: What Bud said. Do you know about 'the cycle'? I'm not talking about the female reproductive system, Eric.

Back