New tank set up - WATER AND MORE WATER

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
I finally got everything needed to set up my tank. It should've been a quick job, an hour maybe, but I was missing a connection. Got it and everything hooked up :thumbs: then went to church for comedy show and dinner, life is great :D
When I (finally) get back home, (I'm as excited as a kid at Christmas) I realize I don't have the connection needed to use my mag 7 to fill the tank. Oh well it's not stopping me...:Banane01::bananajump:
I get a ladder and put in 50lbs of beautiful pink Fuji sand, add my hand picked live rock (that I had to kill because of hair algae and...) add 15 gallons of water from my establish tank and start dumping bucket by bucket of fresh mixed water (up and down the ladder). I got it filled about 2 AM this morning, double checked all plumbing and turned it on... Extremely excited I peek at the sump, everything is looking good filling up nicely so I jump up on the ladder to watch the overflow :up: I jump off the ladder to check on the sump again, only to land in water covered hardwoods with the inside of the stand flooded too! About 3 AM I got most of the waters up, running fans to dry it up, I fall into bed.

Of course, I can't sleep from wondering what's leaking so....back to it I disconnect the skimmer and turn it back on. After several seconds I figure out that the correlated, flexible, gray hose my lfs recommended for the drain line had split in the back, up where it is connected to the bulkhead. I just couldn't see it I had to feel it! Cleaned up water again and dropped in the bed. :sick:
Today I called my LFS and talked to the extremely knowledgeable guy who sold it to me, and he said "yes that has happened to me several times when I've set up tanks for others, just bring it in and I'll exchange it for you".
Are you kidding me.......I don't think so!

I went to Home Depot and got the connection for the Mag 7 to drain the tank. Ive got to get the water off my hardwoods under the stand or they will ripple maybe even mold.

<span style="color: Magenta;"> I bought the washer dryer hose (thick clear with strengthening white lines visual) that Home Depot sells to use for my drain line. Has anyone used this and have any negative, positive comments, suggestions or recommendations?</span>
<span style="color: Magenta;">Feedback of any kind very much appreciated. Thank you

ANY and ALL condolence hugs or presents (RADION, Vortech, 120 Epic Tank...) will be so very much appreciated Sunday :roll:</span>​
and will surely help cheer me up on my birthday :)

Edit: Thanks, Debbie
Camilla= Nanohooked

Did it say that the tubing is safe for potable (drinking) water?

If not, take it back. Non-potable tubing can leach nasties into the water.

GiulianoM;819326 wrote: Did it say that the tubing is safe for potable (drinking) water?

I don't know! Excellent Thought, I'll call them now.
Thanks a bunch!

Been using that for 30 years. Scary. And I have HW too. I may swap it out for flexible PVC. I think if you have a tank, you are going to have wet floors. That's been my experience.
Happy Birthday!

Not sure why you're going to all this trouble when you could use what the rest of the world does:

PVC
Spa Flex
Reinforced Vinyl tubing

Tony_Caliente;819328 wrote: Been using that for 30 years. Scary. And I have HW too. I may swap it out for flexible PVC. I think if you have a tank, you are going to have wet floors. That's been my experience.
Happy Birthday!

Where can I get the flexible PVC and please tell me what HW means.

By wet floors, I'm talking gallons at a time :(
Thanks for the birthday wishes, it's Sunday the day of the ARK party :)

Go to home depot or a POOL or SPA store and ask for "SPA FLEX"

HW = hardware

Camellia;819336 wrote: Where can I get the flexible PVC and please tell me what HW means.

By wet floors, I'm talking gallons at a time :(
Thanks for the birthday wishes, it's Sunday the day of the ARK party :)

Flexible PVC or Spa Flex is like the white plastic hard PVC pipe you can find at HD/Lowes, but flexible.

You can usually find it in the same aisle as other plumbing fittings - most HD/Lowes stores carry it.

You can usually buy it there by the foot - though it will cost a few bucks per foot, usually more expensive than if you had bought it online.

This is an example of traditional plastic PVC pipe, and Spa Flex:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100348472/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=pvc&storeId=10051#.UMZKT3esGvg">PVC Pipe</a>

[IMG]http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100211638/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=pvc+flex&storeId=10051#.UMZKtHesGvg">Spa Flex / Flex PVC</a>

JeF4y;819332 wrote: Not sure why you're going to all this trouble when you could use what the rest of the world does:

PVC
Spa Flex
Reinforced Vinyl tubing

I tried PVC but it doesn't allow me the space I need /want to add a container on top of the sump ( sump is a 10 gallon and was a tight fit in width but i have height) to add for fudg, etc. do u know where can I get Spa Flex or the RV tubing, I live in Acworth.

Trust me Jeff, I'm not trying to be creative on my lines, LFS sold it to me as the "latest and greatest". FYI, I've only had nano cubes and have never used a sump. It's all new to me, uncomfortable and a little scary :(
Thanks for the suggestions.
Appreciate ya

I find that this makes a great reference for different tubing types:

http://flexpvc.com/indexFlexHose.shtml">http://flexpvc.com/indexFlexHose.shtml</a>

(No affiliation with FlexPVC)

GiulianoM;819326 wrote: Did it say that the tubing is safe for potable (drinking) water?

Due to your question, even though the man recommened it I went back and read manufactures information which states it is NOT recommended for drinking or Aquairums! OMG it would have been redo #3!

Thanks so much guys, your awesome.

I'm back to it know, fingers crossed!

Spa Flex is soft PVC I believe. HW = Hard woods. Mine were only a few months old. Damaged them using Home Depot bucket vacuum to clean my sump, and then a second time when I was filling up my top-off water reservoir with RODI and the 1/4 tubing slid out of the bulk head. I was home and heard the water alarm going off, but several gallons were already on the floor. Fun :) Those HOB pre-filters scare me too.
The risks we take
for bringing the ocean indoors :)

Lee's Pond Tubing - Black. $1.99 a foot. Thick walled black vinyl tubing, inexpensive, easy.

Reminds me of when I set up my tank. Everything that can go wrong usually does. Those flexible drain lines are notorious for splitting. My father in law went through three before he finally just hard lined with pvc.

:lightsaber2:

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I ended up waking up and not needing any more hose. The flexible drain hose that split from the LFS of course has two ends! I heated a cup of water in the microwave for 2 minutes. When the water was hot, I put the good end in the water for 5 seconds until it was a little flexible slid it onto the nipple with ease and secured it with metal a. clamp!
I'll pass this on to the LFS who told me its split several times on him! It's to bad it doesn't come with a sticker on it including this often required step!

Its called school of hard knox.

Warrning on putting water in the microwave. Dont do it. It could/will blow up. Just run ttap water on hot only.

Go to youtube and see exploding water in microwave.

What happens if you heat it too long it will get hotter than boiling and when the cup is moved and or when something is introduced the water reacts baddly and it LQQKs like blows up and burns you

Edit: Its called school of hard knox.

Warrning on putting water in the microwave. Dont do it. It could/will blow up. Just run ttap water on hot only.

What happens if you heat it too long it will get hotter than boiling and when the cup is moved and or when something is introduced the water reacts baddly and it LQQKs like blows up and burns you

eagle9252;819879 wrote: Its called school of hard knox.

Mostly true - http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp">http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp</a>

A minute or two of heating water in a microwave is fine.

Yeap. They did it on myth busters also. Yes its over reacting some but some will leave the water for several mins too long and could get hurt

eagle9252;819879 wrote: Its called school of hard knox.

Edit: Its called school of hard knox.

Oh gosh Charles,
When using microwaves anything can blow up! My statement above is totally safe. I used a 4 cup glass measuring cup and warmed the water for two minutes. The water will not blow up.
Point being by my post was to help others who may use this gray flex hose from the LFS in the future. It's very convenient and easy to install when the end is warmed to become flexible! The Manager at the LFS didn't even know this. Let me have my moment! just trying to help others from my mistakes and lessons learned which I don't get to do that often, lol

Edit:
GiulianoM;819887 wrote: Mostly true - http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp">http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp</a>

A minute or two of heating water in a microwave is fine.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, appreciate ya!

Warning:

Don't leave the water in micro forever, one minute would work.

Edit: My tank looks soooo good!!

Thank you to all that have contributed along the way! ARK forks are the best!!
Pictures will be posted in new thread. :)

Back