new tank

The white cheek tang is the same as the powder brown but the gold rim is a different species. They are hard to tell apart unless the are next to eachother. Powder brown is acathurus japonicus.

Any way I wouldn't put them in the 55.

easy to keep, hard to keep other fish with--they're mean.

and feel free to try a butterfly. but don't be disappointed when it dies in two weeks ;)

None... Like others have told you..butterflies can be the biggest pain to keep.. I would suggest some different reading other than LA.. Try wetwebmedia.com or do some more reading here before jumping into hard to keep fish

Look into smaller size fish. The 55 is only 12 inces wide so you dont want the fish having to do a 3 point turn. If you want to keep a tang I would only look at the smaller zebramosa species. Some wrasses would be good choices but then again this will require some research for which ones are compatable.

Tangs need lots of open room to swim.. Most consider 4' tanks just to be to short for most tangs.. Once they start getting large the will start to get stressed and thus increasing the chance of many things to happen, stop eating, start attacking other fish, ich outbreaks,etc... That are tons of other fish that will work great in a 55 other than tangs or butterflies..

DrNecropolis;277995 wrote: Tangs need lots of open room to swim.. Most consider 4' tanks just to be to short for most tangs.. Once they start getting large the will start to get stressed and thus increasing the chance of many things to happen, stop eating, start attacking other fish, ich outbreaks,etc... That are tons of other fish that will work great in a 55 other than tangs or butterflies..
I keep a tang in a 4 ft tank but there is also 2 feet to get headed the other direction :D .

There alot of choices that would be considered easy in that tank. Clowns, firefish, some wrasses, cardinals, hawkfish, gobies, blennies ETC. Just do your research on compatability.

Some great fish for a 55 would be:

dwarf angels
fairy wrasses
gobies
cardinals
clowns
fang blennies
dartfish

there are dozens of different species in the groups listed above, and most of them will not outgrow a 55, are easy to find, and relatively easy to keep. example:

flame angel
solaris wrasse
yellow watchman goby
hi-fin cardinal
pair of ocellaris clowns
canary blenny
firefish or purple firefish

and there are dozens of other types.

Back