New to Hobby, New Tank in Progress, New Person Introduction

mhwang

Reaction score
Greetings,

I've been lurking the forums for quite some time now so I figured it was probably time I made a formal introduction.

I've been reading as much as I can about saltwater tanks on the internet and was going to wait until I fully understood everything before I dove in, but I eventually concluded that I'm probably not going to understand some of the techniques and concepts until I actually dug in and started. So after a couple of visits and questions at "The Fish Store" and a tank sale at "Pure Reef", I've got myself a Marineland 150 gallon tank (48x24x30) and stand. A lot bigger than the 67/75 gallon I had originally planned! I plan on starting with just fish and live rock and progress over to some low maintenance soft corals.

So anyhow, here is a rough draft of what I have planned for the tank:

<u>Hardware</u>
- membership to ARC
- Trigger Systems Sump/refugium (leaning toward 36E to fit the protein skimmer)
- Reef Octopus Protein Skimmer (not sure on the model yet)
- eheim 3000 return pump
- 2 heaters
- 2 powerheads (leaning toward Hydor for pricepoint not sure what model though)
- generic ups back-up for powerheads and return pump
- MaxSpect Razor 200W when it becomes available
? Possibly some egg crate underneath the rocks.

<u>Filtration</u>
- 150+ lbs of dry rock from marcorocks or reefrocks.net
- 100-120 lbs of dry sand from marcorocks or reefrocks.net
- Live Rock Rubble to seed the dry rock
- Chaeto Algae and Copepods for the refugium

<u>Planned Livestock after cycling</u>
- clean up crew
- a pair of tank bred oscellaris clowns (one black and one orange if possible)
- foxface rabbit fish
- Goby (not sure which one yet)
- yellow tang
- fire fish

<u>Down the Road</u>
- One or two more tangs that are suitable for the tank size
- Mandarin Fish
- Soft Corals

Unfortunately, I do not have space in the condo for a RO/DI system so I will have to make do with buying salt water and RO/DI water from the LFS which fortunately is right around the corner (Fish Store).

My next planned purchase (as soon as my credit card statement rolls over) is the sump so right now I'm trying to wrap my head around how to do the plumbing set up. It seems simple and hard at the same time. Also have a few gift cards for amazon or 1800petsupplies which I will use to purchase some of the equipment like the heaters, return pump, and powerheads.

So, that's what I got planned right now. More than likely it's going to get revised as I go along and get advice on what I'm doing wrong or what I can do better. ;)

mike

Welcome aboard! Im relatively new at SW and have learned alot from reading on this site and several members help. The members are incredibly quick to help anyone, anytime.

With my limited knowledge, i might suggest You should pick up some Jeabo wp40 powerheads. Ive got the wp25's and they are nothing short of incredible. Ask around I know theres some to be had. Also I saw a members DT and fish room in a tight space. He put his DT on a wall with a small closet behind it. It just happened to be below his staircase. It was a really cool setup and well thought out.

Welcome to the club! Looks like you have big plans! My best advice that I can give you is be patient and get a membership to ARC. It will pay for itself with all the discounts from sponsors that you receive.

Welcome,
The Marco rock is very nice. You are in good hands living close to The Fish Store. If you need any help or advice feel free to pm me and I will help in anyway I can. Good Luck and welcome to the club!

Welcome to the dark side. Hold on to your wallet its about to get bumpy

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Welcome. Get a RODI, even if used. I've got one in my condo that I connect to the bathroom faucet then remove and store it when done. Plus, your back will thank you for it immediately.

Thanks for all the welcomes and advice. I'll definitely check out the jeabo powerheads and revisit a RODI set up at home just don't have the space for large tubs of RODI water.

Definitely will have to be patient since that is all the wallet can afford at the moment (too many expensive hobbies). :)

Atom242;906365 wrote: I too had many expensive hobbies, saltwater has definitely thinned those out.....but I will say it's totally worth it I absolutely love my tank. Everyone in the ARC are super resources and are all willing to help. Good luck with your build.
P.S. Check back with me when you get ready for fish, if I can catch this fox face I have he's all yours!!!

Cool! Thanks for the offer. I'm almost ready to start cycling. I'm just waiting for that new credit card to come in the mail to order the rest of the stuff I need. :)

Amazing what a new credit card will do to a budget. So I've changed my mind on a few things. I actually ordered a RO/DI system from Bulk Reef Supply.

I've also decided to go with a pair of Kessil 360w's instead of maxspect, and I'm looking into an apex controller to go with the lights.

So anyhow, while I'm waiting for the remaining plumbing parts to come in, I've been stacking the rocks to get a general idea how I want to aquascape, and this is what I have on the third try so far.

Not sure how I feel about it, as it will take up a lot of floor space, and there is a lot of height of the tank the rock isn't taking advantage of (I measured the peak at about 18 inches). I'm also debating about gluing pieces together, but I'm leaning against it since that would make dropping them into a 30 inch tall tank more difficult. Though I have been thinking about using some epo putty to try and build taller stable structures or more stable archways.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
908858=49513-IMG_20131101_112548.jpg
>
908858=49513-IMG_20131101_112548.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_20131101_112548.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
908858=49514-IMG_20131101_112557.jpg
>
908858=49514-IMG_20131101_112557.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_20131101_112557.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Back