New to me 100 gallon build. Lighting question

kstkrt

Supporting
Reaction score
Hi all. Love the forums. Wealth of info. I’d like to obtain some opinions on lighting for this tank. It’s a glasscages starfire glass 36” long x 24 deep x 27 high.
i currently have a gen 1 reefbreeders that I want to upgrade from (it’s currently over my 24g cube until this one is ready)

Naturally $$ is a concern — so the cheaper the better, but I want a good light for a mixed reef setup...mostly LPS and softies..and a handful of (easy) SPS.
Im somewhat concerned about the height of 27”... most things I see are rated at 24..so it has me thinking....

Attachments

• 2046875C-A805-44C6-9889-4BD8D1608869.jpeg
    2046875C-A805-44C6-9889-4BD8D1608869.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 34
I'm running two Vipraspectra 165's over my 120 and am very happy with them. I picked them up off Amazon relatively cheap.

Hi all. Love the forums. Wealth of info. I’d like to obtain some opinions on lighting for this tank. It’s a glasscages starfire glass 36” long x 24 deep x 27 high.
i currently have a gen 1 reefbreeders that I want to upgrade from (it’s currently over my 24g cube until this one is ready)

Naturally $$ is a concern — so the cheaper the better, but I want a good light for a mixed reef setup...mostly LPS and softies..and a handful of (easy) SPS.
Im somewhat concerned about the height of 27”... most things I see are rated at 24..so it has me thinking....

Welcome to the ARC!

I’m using Noopsyche K7 Pro ii, which are 95 watt LED’s. Putting 2 of those in a hybrid fixture with T5’s would be pretty sweet, at ~1/2 the cost of AI, EcoTech or Kessil’s.

@scottw is the distributor & an ARC sponsor.

Best advise would be to stay away from SPS for now. They will die on you especially since you are new. Don't wanna discourage you but trust me on this one. Stay with LPS and softys for now. Once you can handle LPS and see good growth then try your hand at SPS.

I'm running two Vipraspectra 165's over my 120 and am very happy with them. I picked them up off Amazon relatively cheap.
Just watched the BRS youtube video about the various black boxes....VIPARSPECTRA was the best!!

Best advise would be to stay away from SPS for now. They will die on you especially since you are new. Don't wanna discourage you but trust me on this one. Stay with LPS and softys for now. Once you can handle LPS and see good growth then try your hand at SPS.
Another thing - when you do start sps, get some of the free/super cheap beginner sps before you spend good money on good sticks.

Back