Tank Upgrade Options: Help me think please ;)

So for all you external overflowers.......Im still delaying the final decision and I wanted to ask another question: What are the drawbacks to an external overflow? Someone pointed out to me today that salt creep can be an issue as it will fall all over your floor???? seems like a stretch for a downside i know but figured id ask. What about the humidity affecting the wall behind the tank......I could see that being an issue?

Thanks.

The Icecap 660 that I've got says it will run a total of 454w or 16' of lamps (any combination thereof under those parameters)... When I got my system (before I took it apart, that is) was running 4ea 110w T-12 (VHO) lamps off of a single 660 ballast..

if you can keep it to 8 lamps (especially VHO) then you can more than hit your total wattage goal and use your existing ballasts..

the only difference is that you'd have to buy different end caps for the VHO's..

(oh and my tank is 60" wide and the VHO's were staggered, it threw off a TON of light.. but I never got to see the system up and running. The guy that built it used to own a fish store in Lawrenceville so he probably knows what he was doing - everything else I got with the setup was top notch at the time)

right now my base has two HUGE openings at the back... to prevent any splashing or humidity issues with the wall, I'm going to use plexiglass on small standoffs (holding it at least an inch off the back so ventilation won't be an issue, yet the wall is protected)

Thanks, that sounds like a pretty good idea using a bit of plexi to shield your wall. When you say your base, are you referring to your stand? I was thinking of the humidity/ salt creep on the wall being more of an issue coming from the overflow on the tank than from the sump area.

As for running VHO's, dont VHO's not put out anywhere near as much par as T5's?

Yeah I'd stay away from VHO unless it's for actinic use. T5's will deliver so much more PAR and not to mention give you a lot more options for bulbs, color and room to fit more.

VHO's are better, but their reflectors are not. So, T5's are the way to go if you're deciding between the two. Unless...you're using them for actinics in which case vho still reigns supreme.

Jgoal55;361484 wrote: Thanks, that sounds like a pretty good idea using a bit of plexi to shield your wall. When you say your base, are you referring to your stand? I was thinking of the humidity/ salt creep on the wall being more of an issue coming from the overflow on the tank than from the sump area.

As for running VHO's, dont VHO's not put out anywhere near as much par as T5's?

Base(cabinet) - YES....

unlike most versions I've seen, my canopy will actually contact the rim of the tank all the way around the sides and front will go full height, and the rear will probably go up only a couple inches, but in order to shield the entire rear of the aquarium/wall conundrum, I will put an acrylic "guard" across the rear also (which will NOT completely close off the rear of the canopy)

worst case scenario, you can put acrylic on stand offs just like I mentioned I'm doing for my base.. (although it could be a little trickier because there's less real estate back there to connect to)

Back