New to Saltwater

My tank has been running for about 2 weeks. I have a layer of brown stuff on the sand. Is this normal and what do I need to do about it?

The brown stuff is probably diatoms. They tend to have an outbreak during or right after your tank cycles. You can vacuum or scoop it out if you choose. They will most likely come back until the nutrients they are feeding on is no longer present in your tank. I've heard that they mainly consume silicates.

You can also use Chemi - Clean to take care of it but I would just let it go its natural course.

At two weeks, I agree with AJ that it's more than likely diatoms. Completely normal and part of every tanks cycle. Just keep cleaning your glass and let it run its course... it'll be gone in 10-15days.

For the first 1-2 months just leave the tank alone as much as you possibly can. <u>Do not</u> add any chemicals, additives, etc as it will only take your tank longer to establish itself.

I agree with Tony and AJ. If its not red then its diatoms. If it is red then It is Cynobacteria.

Back