New to the hobby? Enter Here for the Basic Reefkeeping info

jcusmarine;508258 wrote: Test Kits (chlorine, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, alkalinity, iodine)

Great idea puting this all in one place. My only bone of contention is the test kits you reccomend a newbie buy. I think they should be broken into mandatory and optional. I guess what people view as mandatory and optional could be debated but I will take a shot at breaking them down:

Mandatory Test Kits for a new tank and fish only system - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate
Mandaroty Test Kits for a reef tank - calcium, alkalinity
Optional test kits - phosphate, iodine, stontium, magnesium, copper

I agree 100%. Regarding test kits, that would be my recommendation also. Thanks!

Schwaggs;558612 wrote:

Seems like all good reef salt-mixes have these things already added in the right proportions so water change should restore the balance. In your experience, did you notice these params fluctuate wildly between water changes?

KM30004;558695 wrote: Seems like all good reef salt-mixes have these things already added in the right proportions so water change should restore the balance. In your experience, did you notice these params fluctuate wildly between water changes?

NO - It really is old school thinking actually....all the current salt mixes are excellent in maintaining these and they should be of no concern with regular water changes.

Like Schwaggs stated:

Mandatory Test Kits for a new tank and fish only system - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate
Mandatory Test Kits for a reef tank - calcium, alkalinity

Regarding testing, I would like to link a thread I started in 2009 in Rants 'n Complaints about a bunch of "My Tank is Crashing" threads at that time. It has several opinions on what test kits you should have and what you should be testing for, including mine, which have not changed.

showthread.php

Acroholic;558745 wrote: Regarding testing, I would like to link a thread I started in 2009 in Rants 'n Complaints about a bunch of "My Tank is Crashing" threads at that time. It has several opinions on what test kits you should have and what you should be testing for, including mine, which have not changed.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28343">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28343</a>[/QUOTE]

Great bump, even though Raj don't think it's worthy!

Acroholic;558745 wrote: Regarding testing, I would like to link a thread I started in 2009 in Rants 'n Complaints about a bunch of "My Tank is Crashing" threads at that time. It has several opinions on what test kits you should have and what you should be testing for, including mine, which have not changed.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28343">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28343</a>[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I don't seem to be able to access it.

KM30004;558695 wrote: Seems like all good reef salt-mixes have these things already added in the right proportions so water change should restore the balance. In your experience, did you notice these params fluctuate wildly between water changes?

Actually, many salt mixes are WAY low on some elements, specifically Magnesium and only slightly low on others like Calcium. For example, my experience has been that IO is very low on Mag.

Schwaggs;562038 wrote: Actually, many salt mixes are WAY low on some elements, specifically Magnesium and only slightly low on others like Calcium. For example, my experience has been that IO is very low on Mag.

I see! Magnesium cakes easily in humidity, so that's why many salt companies (including Morton) take it out to have the free-flowing salt. I suspect IO might be doing the same thing to impress your average consumer.

Chriskick;587629 wrote: What a great concept for all new hobbyist. This is definitely a must for all beginners...

I totally agree. This would've save me a lot pain an heartache when I decided to go reef about a year. I wish I would've visited ARC a long time ago. :)

Mike

First off, this thread has helped immensely. Thank you!

Schwaggs;558612 wrote: Great idea puting this all in one place. My only bone of contention is the test kits you reccomend a newbie buy. I think they should be broken into mandatory and optional. I guess what people view as mandatory and optional could be debated but I will take a shot at breaking them down:

Mandaroty Test Kits for a reef tank - calcium, alkalinity

I have been agonizing over this for days now - especially considering that the general consensus is to use Salifert, which isn't cheap, so extra thanks for this.
You didn't mention pH - I'm assuming that one was a "given" like Salinity?
Actually you didn't mention Chlorine either. Thoughts?

miklaur;594520 wrote:
You didn't mention pH - I'm assuming that one was a "given" like Salinity?
Actually you didn't mention Chlorine either. Thoughts?

pH isn't necessarily mandatory in a new system, especially if you're keeping up with water changes and using a quality salt. However, I would have to recommend Salifert, as their kits seem to be much more reliable.

As far as chlorine goes, you should have absolutely none in your system and shouldn't have to test for it. If you're using tap water, you definitely need to use a quality dechlorinator and understand that tap water is full of nutrients, which will cause algae outbreaks, and other harmful additives that can stress your livestock. Most recommend spending the $100 on an RO unit, it's well worth it! If your system is small, you can get away with buying RO water by the gallon from the grocery store, but that gets tiring very quickly.

brianjfinn;594526 wrote: pH isn't necessarily mandatory in a new system, especially if you're keeping up with water changes and using a quality salt. However, I would have to recommend Salifert, as their kits seem to be much more reliable.

As far as chlorine goes, you should have absolutely none in your system and shouldn't have to test for it. If you're using tap water, you definitely need to use a quality dechlorinator and understand that tap water is full of nutrients, which will cause algae outbreaks, and other harmful additives that can stress your livestock. Most recommend spending the $100 on an RO unit, it's well worth it! If your system is small, you can get away with buying RO water by the gallon from the grocery store, but that gets tiring very quickly.

Definitely doing frequent water changes.

As for Salt, we're using Oceanic - it's been highly recommended by several people and the LFS - obviously open to suggestions, though.

Don't want to have to buy them twice, so Salifert it will be...

We're using Prime for our tap water treatment, generally pre-mixing in a bucket ahead of time with a pump for a day then adding the Oceanic salt and letting it mix for another few days.

miklaur;594535 wrote:
We're using Prime for our tap water treatment, generally pre-mixing in a bucket ahead of time with a pump for a day then adding the Oceanic salt and letting it mix for another few days.
Have you noticed you algae grow humongous yet!

LilRobb;594542 wrote: Have you noticed you algae grow humongous yet!

Well, considering that we just started on Sunday, the only algae we have is from other members rock, etc. :D
Suggestions are welcomed...

Excellent information! I'm currently setting up my first SW tank, a RSM 250, and I'm beyond excited at the possiblities I have ahead of me. Good to know there's people that care enough about their hobby to share their information. I will definitely be visiting this post many times in the future.

noodle;596228 wrote: this was the most difficult aspect for me, when starting out about a year ago. either don't use tap water, or get something that absorbs phosphates. the phosphates and such in tap water will cause algae to bloom. it'll settle down over time if you don't add in more tap water.

We've actually already switched to R/O. Thanks for the helpful comment.

My first post.
I have been in and out of the hobby for 40 years. This thread is full of excellent information.
In the old days one had to sacrifice several fish (mostly damsels) to get the tank to cycle. I am not trying to be a tree hugger, but I hated to see the little buggers die. Now, enzymes, living bacteria, and proper systems can do that.

Back