newbie question about domino damsel

One day I may set up a smallish cube in another part of the house, and do a damsel-only tank. I could start an adoption service!

Seriously, if my plans for a second, "aggressive" tank with larger fish doesn't play out I might do this. They ARE pretty little fish, after all.

I think they are probably the prettiest fish out there. And so many different types.

Seedless Reefer;343050 wrote: Just wow.

I'm sorry but this is poor, irresponsible advice and I'm sure that while many people think it is ok to flush lowly damsels, I would be willing to bet that this does not reflect the sentiment of the majority in this club.

Willingly sending a fish to it's death because you are disenchanted with it for whatever reason is cruel, inhumane treatment of an animal in your care and personally I can't understand this school of thought.

You can buy/rent a trap and someone, somewhere will re-home him.

Welcome to the ARC and good luck.

You are not the first and will not be the last to fall into the damsel trap.

he's right. you should definitely smash it and THEN flush it. :tongue2:

j/k of course, there are plenty of people out there who would be thrilled to get a free domino.

j/k of course, there are plenty of people out there who would be thrilled to get a free domino.[/QUOTE]

well, if any of them are reading this, please let me know :)

So I guess nailing it to a tree and shooting it is out of the question?:eek:

True. Throw a nem in that piece and watch the domino host it. They are territorial, but amazing. Having said this I still hate mine, but respect it.
cr500_af;343117 wrote: One day I may set up a smallish cube in another part of the house, and do a damsel-only tank. I could start an adoption service!

Seriously, if my plans for a second, "aggressive" tank with larger fish doesn't play out I might do this. They ARE pretty little fish, after all.

glad to see some humor is alive, but we still have yet to succeed offering up a possible solution to retrieve the critter.
I made mention in my apology post about near lights on or off, this is when I've been most successful netting fish.
Try turning the lights off a half hour or more before you want to catch him, offer up a small amount of food and turn on the lights. Chances are greater that the fight or flight reflex will be diminished by the sudden light change and the available food; And you can snag the little terrorist. (joke for those who didn't get it.) :)
Trying to net immediately following lights out usually nets results as well, just have enough light available for you to see the target.
The 'nem idea would likely rid you of the fish and provide a meal to the 'nem, however it reduces your likelihood of trading the fish for something less territorial.
Chromis are quiet fish, and prefer being in schools. If you can trade the domino for two chromis', you did well. Odd numbers of chromis ease the infighting within the school, at least from my experience.. I have several blue and green chromis' in my tanks schooling. Another less aggressive seems to be the yellow tailed blue damsel, not certain of the latin name, but the description is simple, just yellow on the tail. More territorial than the chromis', but not aggressive towards other species. They will spar for dominance within their own kind, again an odd number of fish seems to reduce this.

Well, thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions on catching the little monster, but it's been the better part of a week and no luck. So today's the day for pulling out all the rock and cornering him. Thankfully Tim has said I can bring him in, so at least he'll go to somebody who really wants him (as I guarantee that Tim wouldn't let anybody buy him without knowing what they're in for). And I'm certain now that it's necessary, because my other damsel (who was very shy and small) is now MIA, and the domino is noticeably larger and looks pretty smug. He's coming out TODAY, before a clown goes missing.

another thing to worry about. wonderful.

*grin*

seriously, though, I'm totally OCD about handling rocks carefully. although I think I'll rearrange while I'm at it... My clowns seem to prefer the rear corner of the tank, and they wiggle around back there so much that they've made a little hollow in the sand... I'm hoping once that damsel's out and I rearrange the rocks they'll pick a more visible spot to hang out :)

success! AND</em> I found the missing damsel hiding in the rocks (literally... I took all the rocks out to get at the domino, and poured tank water over them to keep them submerged, and when I picked up the rocks to put them back in, the damsel was swimming around in the leftover water). If anybody wants the domino, he's at KeenReef :)

Back