Newbie wanting to go APEX

Treylipp

Market
Reaction score
I’m still fairly new to the reef keeping side of hobby and but I’ve gotten relatively stable in my tank and corals have been growing very good. My I idea when I do upgrades is that if I just spend the money upfront I won’t upgrade and cry about it later. Not quite sure it matters I essentially have everything return pump, power heads, and lights running on Mobius. I’m buying a full apex system this weekend just to make my life easier but then I realized it only tests ORP, salinity and PH. The water testing has gotten really annoying over the past few weeks so would It bet smarter to just go ahead and spend the money on a trident to also go with the apex? Or would that be over kill? And if you have any info on APEX’s or tridents and or a better way to go about auto testing water please feel free to help me out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just do it trey. You’ve seen my setup. I don’t have the patience or discipline to test like I should and keep the corals I have. Just. Do. It.

bite the bullet trey....it will be better for the long run..

hell, i even have a wifi apex for my little nano tank.

That’s what I figured now the struggle will be trying to get it all set up and not knowing a single thing

Just do it trey. You’ve seen my setup. I don’t have the patience or discipline to test like I should and keep the corals I have. Just. Do. It.

HAHA very true testing has become such a pain

I just saw you texted me today. Apologies - been a hectic day. Re apex and trident it’s pretty straightforward. Just read the directions and follow them and you’ll be golden.

Here is an R2R thread with lots of pros and cons related to Trident. If you read through and dig you will even find a reference to changing the cycle time on the Apex which could save some money on reagent.

8e1265e68c9971ae11576fa1d510026c.jpg

It’s gonna be a long nightttt

Have fun man. @jcook54 is setting up an apex as well. It’s fun to dial it all in. Just don’t get to my point - 3x eb832s and ten different modules... lol.

I told myself in the beginning and apex seemed overkill I’ll never get to the point where I’d be too lazy to test and here we are..

Other than the probes not being calibrated your numbers look pretty good. How do those Trident results match up to your recent tests?

That's pretty awesome. I've got my ApexEl up and running and so far it's pretty awesome. I saved a lot of space by utilizing the outlet timers and I really like being about to follow changes automatically. I was pretty stoked to see the little pH bumps throughout the night as I was auto dosing Alk. Nothing surprising but it's pretty cool to actually see.

Other than the probes not being calibrated your numbers look pretty good. How do those Trident results match up to your recent tests?

The tests were almost spot on with the Hanna test and salofert within I’d say 2-3% off

That's pretty awesome. I've got my ApexEl up and running and so far it's pretty awesome. I saved a lot of space by utilizing the outlet timers and I really like being about to follow changes automatically. I was pretty stoked to see the little pH bumps throughout the night as I was auto dosing Alk. Nothing surprising but it's pretty cool to actually see.

I was debating the EL or the full and luckily got a steal of a deal on the full version

Back