Next Gen Neptune Apex released

ghbrewer

Market
Reaction score
Looks like it was designed by a toy manufacturer...lol

https://www.neptunesystems.com/apex-2016/">https://www.neptunesystems.com/apex-2016/</a>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Admittedly, it does have some nice improvements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not super thrilled that I JUST bought a new Apex......

A little pissed actually

The wifi is no issue. I added a wifi add-on for $15.....but agree, that should have been added long ago.

Didn't give it a full look yet, but on first glance, it looks more streamlined. I don't see this doing anything you can't already do with your current APEX. Or am I missing something?

As far as I can tell, it looks like everything is just slightly more streamlined. I dont think there is any functionality that your current apex can't handle.

Ringo®;1085812 wrote: Didn't give it a full look yet, but on first glance, it looks more streamlined. I don't see this doing anything you can't already do with your current APEX. Or am I missing something?

Aside from the whole unit being wifi enabled (not needing a gaming adapter any longer). Each of the individual outlets can now be monitored, vs. you use to only see the amperage per Energy Bar. Each individual outlet will also be able to provide feedback and notifications in case of overload or failure. Also, many of the different modules have been bundled into a single system, reducing the number of cables and modules. The new probes seems like they will better/more accurate too.

I have also heard that updates will be much easier and enabled over wifi... That is a welcome addition.

Torqued;1085810 wrote: Not super thrilled that I JUST bought a new Apex......

A little pissed actually

The wifi is no issue. I added a wifi add-on for $15.....but agree, that should have been added long ago.

Yeah, I'm not thrilled either... I got one recently too, paid $700 for a Gold. I hardwired mine so Wifi is no big deal. I like the sound of seeing the Amps per outlet and the 1Link ports & 24v ports built into the EB. The status leds look nice too... I have 3 EB8's now, sigh...

One can only hope that some of the Fusion updates and IoTa will be backwards compatible because it doesn't look like much of anything else will be.

The designs is nice, easier to use and read, yes. But color orange= not!

That orange is the same as my Harley Davidson and I've customed it out with gold to downplay it. Who's favorite color is ORANGE?

Anyway us old Apex owners will be ok as is.

Kurt, Neptune is awesome CS! If your that upset, give them a call. Bet they will swap for extra $$!

Ringo®;1085825 wrote: Meh. I don't see anything here worth coughing up the cash for.

Yeah, it would be hard to justify upgrading. Maybe worth it in the front end when just getting into it, but hard to justify the cost without any real improvements and/or additional functionality. I do like the idea of reducing the number of cables and modules, but not enough to cough up that much $.

They said something about new Neptune products that will be connected through the 1link ports. Not sure if the old apex will need an adapter or if the products will be able to plug in through the eb

hzheng33;1085827 wrote: also, it's good to know how much electricity you're using. however, are you really going to unplug something just because your electricity bill goes up. you know this is an expensive hobby to begin with.

For me just starting out it would be nice to know what the draw per outlet is in an easy fashion. It would make balancing loads across EB8's and circuits a breeze. But again not worth the cash for me. If they were to give me a steep discount/buy back option for a newer purchase I might make the jump.

It was also just stated in the announcement thread on their forum that the processing power is greatly increased in the new base unit...

Honestly, it's more the principal of it than anything. Honestly I don't see anything worth spending the huge amount more for. At this point I already have all the control I should ever need. The addition features I see they added are nice little things, but frankly, not worth it at $800. I just wish I had waited a bit longer, I foresee the aftermarket price on the old Apex dropping substantially as people with cash burning a hole in their pockets upgrade

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

LSU_fishFan;1085832 wrote: They said something about new Neptune products that will be connected through the 1link ports. Not sure if the old apex will need an adapter or if the products will be able to plug in through the eb

They already have a 1Link module that can be bought that supports 1Link devices, so any Apex can control 1Link devices. It comes with the Wav pumps currently.

Torqued;1085810 wrote: Not super thrilled that I JUST bought a new Apex......

A little pissed actually

Im the opposite, I see nothing that makes it worth it over the previous model, its ugly as hell and a lot more expensive.

I dont see much point in the wifi, Id be worried about it not communicating over distances though a house. I would not trust that and thats why mine is hard wired.

They could have done the same thing with an upgrade to the software and new internals in the energy bars to allow individual monitoring. But then again, I had no reason to upgrade from my AC3 aside from it getting fried.

Keep in mind that the APEX as it is now is not going anywhere and Neptune confirmed that there will be no price drop on it until probably next year at the very least. It will still be sold right along side of the new unit as the APEX "Classic".

They will be dropping the APEX Gold unit once the new one comes out though.

Makes sense. They would be cutting out a large chunk of their customers with that price tag.

Back