Nightmare Inducing Pest… Going Nuclear!

Bhmann

Market
Reaction score
We tried to introduce a new fish last month that got beat up pretty bad it’s first night. We lost a different fish 2 weeks ago. Today, we found another one that was pretty injured.
A few months ago I saw what I THOUGHT was a bristle worm at 2am…. Now I’m almost entirely convinced that we’ve got a Bobbit Worm.

Currently breaking down the entire tank, quarantine fish and coral, and will be hunting through every rock and all the sand to find this pest that is hurting our livestock. Found 12 empty hermit shells in a back corner behind the rocks that further confirms my theory— especially as I only found 2 living hermits during the break down and a couple snails, when we had 20+ inverts at one point.

All I want to do now is find it and burn it to send it back from whence it came.

On Fire Burn GIF by Searchlight Pictures

I would try dunking the rock in hyper saline water, think 1.040 type specific gravities. If that doesn't work perhaps try carbonated water.

So far everything is in separate tubs. Remaining fish and inverts are doing ok. Rocks without coral are in a FW dip. Going to try blasting the coral covered rocks with the syringe tomorrow, hopefully will help find the bandit. If not, I’ll be fragging what I can and then boiling the rocks… not at all what I was planning to do this weekend. But I refuse to lose another fish to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please don't actually boil your rocks....soak in bleach or something if you must but actually boiling them is really dangerous.

Good advice. I had received the advice to boil from another reefer, but the more I started researching it the more I agree with you.

Back