nitrates ???

joshl

Market
Reaction score
they are at 15-20ppm is that ok they have been at 0 for a long time unit i forgot to change the filter pad and do a water change one week to long

i have done 2 20% water changes one friday and one today and they are still up
what do i doo

I fought nitrates (at much higher levels than yours) for months. I finally gave up the conventional methods (large, frequent water changes, mostly) and started up a coil denitrator. When that didn't get me all the way down to the 0-5 range like I wanted, I started dosing a product called AZ-NO3. It's expensive, but when used as directed, it took my nitrates from a level that was totally off the scale of my Seachem test kit to a level where they are barely detectable now. I am just about through the cycle of weaning myself off the product, and so far so good. You can't use this product without a GOOD skimmer, though, so be aware of that.

but will it hurt anything with them that high, my fish doent seem like it bothers them and my corals dont either this is just the highest if has been.

I don't think the fish will care unless the levels really skyrockets. Inverts are more sensitive to elevated nitrate levels, and the more advanced corals demand really clean water. The main concern you may have with high nitrates is an ongoing battle with algae.

Wow, I've gotten mine down to 3-5 and still think they are high.. :D

Matt

Prime should only be used in dire situations, but it will nuetriize nitrites and nitrates but does not remove them. Lets find out what is either causing the nonconversion into nitrogen or binding it. Your levels are not high enough to warrant panic but lets work on getting your sump and fuge going and let me suggest to feed a little less and add a litttle more live rock. Have you removed the bio wheel? If so then your system will need a little time before balancing back out. Add no chemicals!!!

yea i took it out saturday, sorry i havent had a chance to get over to the store

ares;322015 wrote: prime nuetralizes ammonia, does it do anything for nitrates?

According to Jim at Seachem, it alters/binds NO3 so that it can be more easily consumed by bacteria. I have not tested this.

I do waterchanges weekly in my nano, and on a weekly basis, dose Seachem's Alpha product which nuetrilizes Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, chlorine and cloramine........ Because of this, I'm not sure I'd get an accurate reading on any tests, but by the same token, have no issues with the tank.

ares;322195 wrote: hmmm that seems vague. so we assume that it does so... my concern... what if it doesnt? does it render it inert in the meantime while the bacteria is still consuming it, and does it cause test kits to read false reports?

I mean, "more easily" doesnt seem to equal immedietly... you could potentially still have a ton of bound nitrate in the water column that now you cant even see in a test, and thus maybe not do the water changes you should be doing, but still have it be just as harmful to the livestock...

maybe a bit of a doomsday scenario, but I think this sums up my dislike for chemicals. I just dont trust what I dont understand I guess... I trust seachem, they are a great company, but it would be my last choice.

I agree with you there. Jim addressed this at the last Seachem meeting to a very small degree. I'll try to dig up some info on sodium thiosulfate regarding NO3 and get back to you on that one.

It acts on NH3 by creating an iminium salt, which is very basically nitrogen organically bound. Again.. let me do some research, I knew I'd get called out on that one.

carbon dosing like AZ-NO3, Vodka, VSV, etc. Read up on it first, but it's not snake oil. It raises the bacteria level in your tank. They eat the nitrates & phosphates, skimmer skims out.

showthread.php

ares;322294 wrote: but can crash a tank like no other if not maintained very precisely...

Yes it can! However, if read up & research, start extremely slow, and do 1 dose daily with a child medicine vial, you should be ok.

Josh,althougth you are still young in the hobby you are learning quickly, lets get the basics down first and then move towards more advanced methods later. Your system is still very young and your nitrate issues started just last week. Nothing to worry about yet. I promise.

its been up for about 3-4 months and i have only 3 fish in it right now
2 clowns and one green damsel i know i am freaking out over nothing but just had me worried my nitrates have gone down wiht my last test to 5ppm so sofar so good

Fish Scales2;322029 wrote: Prime should only be used in dire situations, but it will nuetriize nitrites and nitrates but does not remove them. Lets find out what is either causing the nonconversion into nitrogen or binding it. Your levels are not high enough to warrant panic but lets work on getting your sump and fuge going and let me suggest to feed a little less and add a litttle more live rock. Have you removed the bio wheel? If so then your system will need a little time before balancing back out. Add no chemicals!!!

Just curious.. why lose the biowheel?

joshl;322339 wrote: its been up for about 3-4 months and i have only 3 fish in it right now
2 clowns and one green damsel i know i am freaking out over nothing but just had me worried my nitrates have gone down wiht my last test to 5ppm so sofar so good

I guess we were answering your question, however, we didn't have enough info to answer it for your specific question. Don't worry about anything in the 20 to 40 range except proper husbandry to control it. This was stated by a few members already.

Hey Crowe, the Biowheel is a place that beneficial bacterias will harbor, they do the same thing that your liverock is doing but the problem with the biowheel is that overtime they will become a nitrate factory. They do not allow for the conversion of Nitrates to Nitrogen. There is more to it than that but that is the jist of it.

Back