nitrates ???

Fish Scales2;322362 wrote: Hey Crowe, the Biowheel is a place that beneficial bacterias will harbor, they do the same thing that your liverock is doing but the problem with the biowheel is that overtime they will become a nitrate factory. They do not allow for the conversion of Nitrates to Nitrogen. There is more to it than that but that is the jist of it.

Hmmmm.... I have a biowheel on my 30 right now. Is that a bad thing? And while I have your ear what is wet skimming? Sorry for asking noob questions!

No problem. It is not that the biowheel is a bad thing it will in time though begin to compete with your liverock, In due time as you build up the amount of LR in the system and consider possibly encorporating a sump to your system it will no longer be needed. IMO it is not needed at any point.
Look at most nano tanks, bio balls are removed and you are left only with a sponge to trap large particles and in my case I remove it as well. Now to freak a few people out. I often run my 120 with no return pump. I take my sump off line and allow my powerheads to keep running.

Wet Skimming is achieved by raising the level in your skimmer to allow more wet skimate to be achieved. I adjust mine quite often, sometimes I run it dry so more of the solid waste builds up on my cup walls and at times I run it wet where I get alot more water in the cup. I hope I have helped instead of confusing you. Just stop by the store and I can show you the difference between the 2.

Fish Scales2;322373 wrote: No problem. It is not that the biowheel is a bad thing it will in time though begin to compete with your liverock, In due time as you build up the amount of LR in the system and consider possibly encorporating a sump to your system it will no longer be needed. IMO it is not needed at any point.
Look at most nano tanks, bio balls are removed and you are left only with a sponge to trap large particles and in my case I remove it as well. Now to freak a few people out. I often run my 120 with no return pump. I take my sump off line and allow my powerheads to keep running.

Wet Skimming is achieved by raising the level in your skimmer to allow more wet skimate to be achieved. I adjust mine quite often, sometimes I run it dry so more of the solid waste builds up on my cup walls and at times I run it wet where I get alot more water in the cup. I hope I have helped instead of confusing you. Just stop by the store and I can show you the difference between the 2.

Thanks

Back