Nitrifying Bacteria

gclackum

Supporting
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody supplements nitrifying bacteria after a water change? Or as a general practice

Once established, I tend to dose stuff Prior to a water changes. Waste-A-Way or Razor.
Occasionally I'll dose Eco-Balance after a water change.

My tank is established and I was vacuuming the sand bed but I’ve stopped and pretty much handle my water changes via sump and just let the sand sifters handle tank side. I was just wondering if there was any advantages to adding bacteria. I remember lots of conversations back in the day about dosing vodka to aid the growth of bacteria

Vodka, vinegar, NoPox, are just food for the bacteria to grow. Between those and nitrates, it feeds them to grow exponentially. Hence the benefit of nitrate reduction in conjunction with a Skimmer.
Understanding that, if you’re not prone to dose vodka, etc would it be beneficial to periodically add bacteria

Understanding that, if you’re not prone to dose vodka, etc would it be beneficial to periodically add bacteria
I don't see how it would help or hurt. The amount of bacteria is limited to their food source. So adding more won't change much if you don't increase the food source. The extra will just die off. Then any thing you remove during maintenance will just grow back.

Many people swear by the Zeovit system of ultra low nutrient management. When correctly implemented and managed it works. Though not inexpensive, you can dose the Zeobak culture and their carbon form(s) and achieve most of the success. Zeobak as an inoculant, prior to starting up, works too -

I don't see how it would help or hurt. The amount of bacteria is limited to their food source. So adding more won't change much if you don't increase the food source. The extra will just die off. Then any thing you remove during maintenance will just grow back.
Makes Sense

Many people swear by the Zeovit system of ultra low nutrient management. When correctly implemented and managed it works. Though not inexpensive, you can dose the Zeobak culture and their carbon form(s) and achieve most of the success. Zeobak as an inoculant, prior to starting up, works too -

I’m sure this is an excellent approach but looks way more involved than I want to get at this time

I also do not think adding bacteria after a water change would help anything. Bottled bacteria is specific strains that will not be replacing the same ones you are removing.
I have seen 2 podcasts on ReefDudes that come to mind. First one was an episode with Andre discussing his "Reef Moonshiners Method" and at one point he talks about using a power-filter in the tank to purposefully kill bacteria in the water column because there are more bad types of bacteria suspended in the water than there are good types, most the good ones live on surfaces. The other was with Lou Ekus of Tropic Marin and he talked in depth about carbon dosing and the different manners of carbon dosing. One part that sticks out was when he was discussing that different types of bacteria have different food sources so vodka would grow different bacteria than sugar, and so on. Lou also discussed that over feeding bacteria(carbon dosing) can cause lots of harmful bacteria to grow rapidly if you aren't careful. I have never personally had any problems with my tank after a water change, unless I removed most/all the sand or something was wrong with the salt.
Them guys who carbon dose play with voodoo magic, thats why there are no ingredients on KZ products, lol jk. Personally I just do water changes and try to stay in the redfield ratio(16:1), since I can affordably test for that.

I’m sure this is an excellent approach but looks way more involved than I want to get at this time
The basic 4 are what some have had good results with. I wasn’t suggesting you go full Monty -

I guess the real question is what are you trying to achieve?

Personally, I been vodka/vinegar dosing for years as a method to control my nitrates since my tanks are always heavily stocked and overfed. So, this is the only way I can keep nitrates <25ppm.

Back