nne help installing calcium reactor

victor626nj

Market
Reaction score
ok so i just got my calcium reactor in and i have no clue how to set it up ......if anyone has time this weekend to come help me out pleasecome on over ......it is a knop calcium reactor and it comes with a eheim pump .....not sure what other pump i need to feed it maybe an aqualifter?......let me know so i can get one thanks all

Vic..check out MRC's setup instructions for their reactors. Very easy and simple instructions.

it is 1/4 inch tubbing here is the reactor it self
a>

i have the exact same one.

i have time on saturday, if nothing comes up...

i can also provide you some details on how to set it up in words, if you'd like... :D

humptrax;154843 wrote: i have the exact same one.

i have time on saturday, if nothing comes up...
that would be great thanks......i dont have a controller yet but i dont see were i can add a ph probe too......i do have an aquacontroller so we can dial it in though ....thanks

Victor626nj;154854 wrote: so since you have this same set up what pum would you recomend

i bought my entire set up from Mike Ufrett off the board like 3 years ago.

i feed the pump from the main pump. i used a female threaded 3/4" adapter, screwed in a 3/4" venturi barb fitting, and using a check valve to keep the water from running back "through".

i know it's confusing in words but it's a real easy hook up. i don't even run a controller on mine. i started at about 30 bpm and 40 drips per minute at the output side and started slowing increasing CO2 until i got the levels i wanted.

yeah, it'd be nice to see that the PH inside the reactor is at 6.5 but really, my halimeda plant tells me where the CA levels are. if the new growth is white, i'll supplement magnesium (i dose kalk about 3 times a week). if it's a dark green... well, it's all good.

i love the reactor. it's small and efficient... very well made.

yeah your right you just confused the hell out of me:doh: .....my main pump i dont want to tauch i much rather have a feed pump just in case

well, here's the thing...

the reactor feeds off a 1/4" line. you also have to remember that the water exiting the reactor needs to be at a very slow pace.

it's really easy to incorporate the feed into the return pipe's design. before, i used a john guest fitting and drilled a hole right into the return piping. with some teflon tape and silicone... it worked perfect.

i suppose you could use a minijet or something to feed the reactor but even then, you're moving maybe... .2 gallons per hour out of the reactor?

maybe a picture would help. i've been so busy lately, i can't even sell the stuff i have laying around the house. :D

ill get one later wife has the camera..and what do you want pics of.........i have a mini jet i can use and the unit has a hose clamp on it as well...one problem i do have is that the co2 bottle pressure valve is broken so i dont know how many psi i will be pusing in

What HumpTrax said above about drilling a hole just above the recirc pumps inlet and putting a john guest fitting in is how my reactor came. Works great and you don't have to add a feed pump! I would go with that approach.

Victor626nj;154887 wrote: ill get one later wife has the camera..and what do you want pics of.........i have a mini jet i can use and the unit has a hose clamp on it as well...one problem i do have is that the co2 bottle pressure valve is broken so i dont know how many psi i will be pusing in

luckily for you, i have a bubble counter. i purchased a regulator with a built in bubble counter so if you need one, it's yours.

the # of bubbles coming through the counter is how many PSIs are pushing through. no need for a pressure gauge.

i'd also recommend purchasing a new calcium test kit. you're going to be testing water for about the next two weeks. :tongue2:

also just got a pm from mike how has owned a couple of these ..he says that a aqualifer is perfect for this so ill go and buy one

Victor626nj;154920 wrote: also just got a pm from mike how has owned a couple of these ..he says that a aqualifer is perfect for this so ill go and buy one

yeah, that'll definitely work too. i designed mine based on Mike's original design.

i'm telling you... the tee off of the main return line is "so money... you don't even know it". :shades:

then again, redundancy is good...

there has to be a coupling/elbow/tee... any PVC fitting in your plumbing...

i personally think it's the easiest and most logical choice. i don't know about the aqualifter but with a minijet, i'd imagine you'd be creating too much pressure inside the media canister...

Back