Noisey mag 7. help

thanh386

Market
Reaction score
I purchased a sump.over flow recently. The mag seems to be in working order, until it's taking in water. It's really loud. Is this normal? It dosn't have a filter atm, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference should it? anything i can do to try and fix this?

+1.

Take the impeller out and clean it. Examine it for any scoring. Examine the pump body where the impeller sits and make sure there is no uneven wear in that recess. Make sure that the impeller shaft has a rubber bushing at each end. Make sure all impeller blades are intact (not cracked or broken).

Finally, look at the face plate cover, in particular, where the rubber bushing sits in it. Look for any chips or cracks - the most common issue with Mag Drives is that if that face plate is tightened down too much, it can cause that face plate to crack.

I and other LFS carry replacement impellers and face plates. Much cheaper than replacing the entire pump if the pump body and impeller cavity are intact. It's about a 5-minute repair, and even I can do it *g*.

If you are unsure about taking it apart yourself, call your LFS and see if they will examine/fix it for you - we do.

Also, the pump should be taken offline and soaked in a vinegar solution every 3 months or so, to clean off any calcarious build up. Take it apart to do this.

Cheers,
HTH

Jenn

Back