Noisy over flow

dylanwright826

Market
Reaction score
So I originally had a siphon into my sump...extremely quite but really scary.. I just bought an overflow box and set it up. It's sooooo looooud...I found some diy stuff in the forums but people were saying stuff I didn't understand..so I ask here...I saw something on YouTube about a silencer but the video only showed him taking it out and putting it in.. Can anyone help?

It won't let me post pictures..I think I broke it hahah. It's a pretty big box..marine depots 1200 overflow box. Ran with 2 1 inch bulkheads

It's not a custom tank..it's all tempered glass so it's not possible to drill it..but I have a float hooked up to my pump...the last chamber in my sump gets to low, it cuts off my sump so I'm protected

Is this the Hex? I'm thinking the bottom isn't tempered.

What comes out of your overflow box (bulkheads) tubing or PVC? Is the water landing in the water or above water line? Can u use filter socks of extend return lines with short cut pieces of PVC into water? If so, drill a bunch of holes in PVC to allow water to exit prior to end.

It's hard to help without pics. Try Photobucket.

What brand of tank is it? Most have tempered bottoms but most are drillable on the walls.

Jenn

I'm not sure what brand it is cause I bought it from some one retiring from the hobby..I know all 5 sides are tempered because there's a sticker that says DO NOT DRILL! TEMPERED GLASS! On the bottom of it..

0109162116_zpsnttjaitf.jpg
>http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr5/dylanwright826/0109162116_zpsnttjaitf.jpg</a>

Is that how you do it...if so, that's a picture of the overflow

0110161922a_zpsvv0zvfja.jpg
>http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr5/dylanwright826/0110161922a_zpsvv0zvfja.jpg</a>

The box it's self

I am not at all interested in altering the plumbing, switching the box, or drilling the tank in any way..I know there is a way to make a silencer for the bulk heads, I just don't know how

The sticker is very, very likely referring to the bottom piece of glass and not the tank as a whole. Do you have polarized sunglasses? I find that that's the easiest way to spot tempered glass.

If you want to stick it out with the overflow box, where is the noise coming from? There are a few factors that can contribute to a loud overflow, but the two main offenders are usually the water splashing/gurgling into the sump OR water bubbling/gurgling at the drain. Is the noise in your tank coming from above or below?

Back