non photosynthetic tank

photokid

Market
Reaction score
i had an idea to change my 30gal into a non photo tank, has anybody on arc done this?

Do you have a link of a current setup? I wonder if they run a full light over a fuge. I would be affraid that not sending out enough light would upset the cycle of life from the bottom up.

I think it would operate a lot like the cold-water reef tanks I've seen.

I haven't seen it done with a tropical reef tank... it could be very very nice as there are many stunning non-photosynthetic tropical corals.

Here's a link to steve west's amazing lil cold-water setup:
a>

That is cool (no pun intended). If I had a basement, I would probably try one.

i read that last night, the only real problem would be the diet/feeding for corals. it would also be nice not to run a chiller all the time.

I am thinking about setting up a Dendronepthya NPS tank. (Note: I am officially coining the phrase NPS to use when discussing these Non PhotoSynthetic tanks. Kinda like SPS or LPS acronym. Now we have NPS tanks. LOL) Dendro corals do well in about 76F. This should not be a big problem to maintain with low energy lighting. You could even use normal fluorescents and just go for really killer colors by mixing bulbs.

Feeding is the tricky part. Chuck Stottlemire on RC is using 12 hour drips of dense phyto/roti concentrate to maintain a contsant slight green tint to the water. Then I think he cycles the skimmer on for 12 hours to clean everything up. Then he starts the process again everyday!

I posted this in another thread but hear is the link again to the article that discusses the NPS tank. :

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-02/feature/index.php">Progress in Azooxanthellate Reef Aquariums, Part 1- Dendronephthya Husbandry </a>
by Charles Matthews

Sounds interesting. I wouldn't go with no light - I'd light it up with VHO's or something to be able to see them. Just because they're NPS corals doesn't mean they will react negatively to light....

Keep us posted!

The problem with any significant amount of light is nuisance algae. These tanks run so dirty they make Brandon's tank seem sterile.

Ya know what they say. The proof is in the pudding. So lets see them pics!

Here are some non phyto shots from some tanks in Ohio.
a>

I did this with a cryptic fuge, but the intention was to foster sponge growth. The entire tank was completely blacked out with heavy-duty shelf paper.

the tank it painted black on 3 sides to cut down on light, and it just looks really good.

George;135713 wrote: I did this with a cryptic fuge, but the intention was to foster sponge growth. The entire tank was completely blacked out with heavy-duty shelf paper.

Not to hijack or anything, but I am curious how this worked out for you. Since an NPS tank requires such heavy feeding, this might be a good way to help keep the water clean.

I saw an article about a successful NPS tank, and the guy basically had to constantly drip concentrated phyto and frozen rotifers to keep things happy. I wonder what the difference would be between a cryptic fuge and a lit fuge. Steve Tyree (of LE Tyree corals fame) is an advocate of the "cryptic zone" method.

Soarin';135754 wrote: I wonder what the difference would be between a cryptic fuge and a lit fuge. Steve Tyree (of LE Tyree corals fame) is an advocate of the "cryptic zone" method.
I didn't have it running long enough to really get a handle on how well it affected nutrient levels.

However the things we have growing in a lit refugium simply can't take up the nutrients the way nuisance algae (i.e. hair, predominantly) and algae in the water column can. Unless you're running a truly enormous refugium (like 2x the size of your display tank), macro algae is mostly providing a safe breeding ground for pods.

The theory with sponges is that since they move massive amounts of water through their bodies and uptake nutrients, creating an area where they dominate will create an uptake sink that actually works. Like an algae scrubber that you don't have to clean. The lack of lighting means that the only thing that can live in there are critters such as pods and sponges. Not only that, but the sponges create a fair amount of circulation by themselves, so it is not necessary to keep a dedicated pump running to circulate the water in an established cryptic refugium.

I just checked on my cryptic fuge which is still a self-contained tank with an airstone only as circulation and the sponges are still there, albeit clearly growing at a slower rate.

Since when the tank was running, I had both a lit and a cryptic fuge, I can't say whether the cryptic grew pods and such as well as a lit fuge, but there were plenty living in there. As far as I know, cheato or other macro algae isn't required for pod growth, it's just a very convenient and renewable nursery.

i really dont see the point of a cryptic fuge in a NPS tank, with no light except for viewing sponge growth will take place in the display; with no light you can have very dirty water compared to a SPS tank. my plan of action is a wet skim, DSB in my fuge, macro algae and maybe a mangrove, and a once a week dose of sugar. weekly water changes seem to be required but thats about it.

photokid;135933 wrote: i really dont see the point of a cryptic fuge in a NPS tank, with no light except for viewing sponge growth will take place in the display
Granted with a severely reduced light system (i.e. only turned on for viewing) there's less need, but ambient light in a room that gets some sunlight is more than sufficient to let nuisance algae grow. Hair algae will easily overtake and smother sponges. A cryptic fuge has a sealed light scenario and a cover with minimal openings (preferably around a bend so no light gets in that way either) with the intent of guaranteeing that only non-photosynthetic organisms can live in the space.

I suppose you could seal the tank inside a cupboard and open for viewing in order to maintain the zero light conditions.

Come to think of it, that's not a bad idea either ...

Back