Noooo....Chiller Fan Going Out

jonboyb

Market
Reaction score
I came home today and found my tank at 81. Chiller comes online at 79. The back of the chiller was HOT. Pulled the front panel and the fan was barely turning. Put fans on the tank and got temp down. Cooled the chiller off and it powered back up like normal....fan working now. Now I'm scared to death....and headed out of town for a week Monday. I have the front cover off and a monster fan blowing through the chiller which should suffice but I HAVE to get the fan fixed. Anyone here have any contacts?

It's a Coralview 1/3hp and been discontinued for a couple years. No parts available.

If you can find the same form factor (dimensions) and at least as high of a flow rating, any fan (good bearings/same voltage) should work.

How would I even begin to find something like that? Is there an online supplier that comes to mind?

Shorty answer is that there are a ton of suppliers on-line. I think you may be in too big of a hurry (correct?).

First, what type of a fan is it? A 'muffin' type like used in PC's?

Or is it a larger 'open frame' (no enclosed frame)?

Check this out

index.php

Open frame. WHile I would love to fix it before I leave, it's still working right now and I have WAY more air going through the chiller with my ghetto rig fan than the stock one produces so it's probably safe.

Here's a couple pics. Fan is around 6" diameter and I can actually remove it with the chiller in place (but I'll have to splice a couple wires)

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=68&pictureid=979" alt="" />

[IMG]http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=68&pictureid=980" alt="" />

Dang.....one of those in that link looks itentical but it says for a 1/10 horse.

ANd I was wrong....it's a CoralLIFE Aqua-Chill (the one with a stainless cabinet)

Ahhhh, I am familiar with those motors. The fan blade may be able to removed and placed on a new motor. These motors often have a lubrication felt which becomes dry and/or clogged with dust over time.

If you can remove it and clean and re-lube it (lightly) it will usually work for a while. These motors are very common and can be found lots of places (cheap).

It sounds like you are set for now. If you place a fan that has as good or better flow you are ok, as you know.

May just need a good cleaning. Nowadays they all likely have bearings anyway.

ichthyoid;544083 wrote:
If you can remove it and clean and re-lube it (lightly) it will usually work for a while.

Going to pull it out today just to check it out. It's working fine for the moment???

If it appears "dry", what lube should I use? Lightweight oil, assembly lube, white lithium, dry graphite.....so many choices:D

I would use a lightweight (lower viscosity) oil. It may not be ideal, but you can always use heavier viscosity later, whereas it's more difficult to use heavier first then try to lighten it up.

I'm willing to bet that the cleaning will help the most. Afterward add a LITTLE oil. Then spin it with your fingers. It it spins freely you are probably good to go.

I had a split frame motor like that on a bathroom fan in a previous house. Every year or so, the fan would not start. A drop of oil on each bushing would keep it going for another year or so...

Honestly, I think I'm going to continue using my rigged up fan assembly. My chiller on kicks on for a couple minutes at a time now where it used to run for 10, 15, 20......who knows. The chiller fan is going strong still so I'm wondering if it might have gotten overheated from extended run-time and seized.

Back