Not looking good

@Lmm1967 - what brand home generator are you looking at? Could you PM some specifics such as size, prices and who is doing the install please. thinks about this myself and thinking Gentech or Kohler.

20kw - physical install was done today. Hookups of electrical and gas are scheduled for tomorrow. Like @anit77 said above - I've been able to find great & horrible reports about all of them.

I'll have this scheduled to exercise once a week and plan on having it actually power the house for a period of time at least once per month.

Yes - you read that right - our generator hookup is scheduled for tomorrow.

Luckily - the weather reports that tend to not enjoy inciting minor panic seem to indicate tomorrow is most likely not an event to worry about.

IMG_2172.JPG

20kw! Damn son, you powering a small server room too? :D:oops:

Can you do a cost breakdown?

Sized to power our entire house, including AC's, garage power etc - as long as gas supply is operational. We have 2 AC's so there are breakouts on those so that they don't both try to start at the exact same time. Generator will run them both - just won't start them both.

Generator was right at $5k, all the misc. stuff and full install was another $3k. They did the site prep as well although that spot was already basically just plain dirt.

I'll have alerts and control over it remotely as long as internet is up at the house. Didn't do the cellular addition - those suck and don't work more often than they do.

Sized to power our entire house, including AC's, garage power etc - as long as gas supply is operational. We have 2 AC's so there are breakouts on those so that they don't both try to start at the exact same time. Generator will run them both - just won't start them both.

Generator was right at $5k, all the misc. stuff and full install was another $3k. They did the site prep as well although that spot was already basically just plain dirt.

It's been a long time since a did a wattage calc for my house but even with two HVAC systems I thought 12-14kw was enough back then. The 2nd unit here is just 1 ton.

While convenient, they do have limits.
I believe you have to shut down after 50 hours for oil changes, correct?

Back