Nudibranch Good or bad? ID

saltyvixen

Market
Reaction score
Friend found this guy in their tank. Is it a bad nudi?

334626d1397501228-turbo-snails-attached-coral-free-caterpillar-photo.jpg
alt="" />

now?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
973302=55276-photo (1).jpg
>
973302=55276-photo (1).jpg
class="gc-images" title="photo (1).jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Looks like some sort of tritoniid, which is generally bad. I'm not anywhere close to the authority on this though. Paging JennM.

i googled tritoniid, thats what it looks like to me, i'll pass the info along, thanks :)

I had a cool zoa eating nudi that I wanted to keep but had to get rid. It was nice though.

11488750735_ed66694a0b_c.jpg
alt="" />
11489279533_ffd11ef698_c.jpg
alt="" />

Just wondering how long do you guys had those and if there's ever a chance for them to reproduce/laid eggs...(if known, might unpredictable)

Gonna start researching more about them

I wasn't sure how long I had mine. I discovered it while just staring at my tank. I thought it was a zoa and soon realized it was a nudi. If I didn't have a more expensive zoa in the tank, I would have just left it alone because it seemed to have been there for a while and the zoas were all still there and growing. It seemed like it was feeding off the tentacles on the polyps. Yes, they can multiply if you have multiple in your tank in which you may never know until you search. They can lay lots of eggs.

MarquiseO;973615 wrote: I wasn't sure how long I had mine. I discovered it while just staring at my tank. I thought it was a zoa and soon realized it was a nudi. If I didn't have a more expensive zoa in the tank, I would have just left it alone because it seemed to have been there for a whilepopulationoas were all still there and growing. It seemed like it was feeding off the tentacles on the polyps. Yes, they can multiply if you have multiple in your tank in which you may never know until you search. They can lay lots of eggs.

Yes, I knew about the damage that they can cause to our reefs, what I still need to find is about their reproduction, if they would change sex so resulting that if a tank with (just the chance!) Just with one or multiple nudi species but, just one gender, would have chances to increase their population. Also know that they lay lots of eggs. I believe a member is conducting an investigation and researching about them

Bad bad bad. Check your zoas and leathers for more. Ones I've seen that look like that, usually feed on one or the other.

Jenn

MarquiseO;973610 wrote: I had a cool zoa eating nudi that I wanted to keep but had to get rid. It was nice though.

11488750735_ed66694a0b_c.jpg
alt="" />
11489279533_ffd11ef698_c.jpg
alt="" />

Wow that is pretty sweet looking. I would have sumped it gave your sump some color lol.

Without zoanthids to eat it would eventually starve to death. Killing it quickly is more humane, IMO - unless you sump it and provide it with zoanthids to eat. However, doing that it could still take a ride back up in the pump, and if there's another one, they could reproduce.

Jenn

Back