Nutrients/Nitrate testing.

Shawn

Market
Reaction score
Alright. So I've got some shrooms (OG Bounce, Kryptonite Bounce) that aren't doing so great. They're not bouncing, and look like they're shrinking. I don't think it's light or flow - I think it's nutrients. They love nutrient rich tanks, I've read. So. For those of you who're growing amazing bounces, what's your secret? Also, what's your preferred nitrate test kit? I hate the Red Sea kit I have and am looking for something better. Thanks all!!

So @ActiveAngel has told me that bounce mushrooms have a small window for temp. I thought my temp was good bc I had a glass thermometer in the tank and it was reading around 77-78. But once I added my "apex" it was showing that my tank was around 74. During the time of the glass thermometer my baby bounce was shrinking and looking very unhappy. Now with my "apex" it's looking a lot better. But I'm still not getting it to bounce either. Maybe the whole nutrient thing is something bc I have been dealing with low to undetectable nitrates and phos.

Nyos nitrate kit has easier to read colors but it is not the same ranges as Red Sea.

So @ActiveAngel has told me that bounce mushrooms have a small window for temp. I thought my temp was good bc I had a glass thermometer in the tank and it was reading around 77-78. But once I added my "apex" it was showing that my tank was around 74. During the time of the glass thermometer my baby bounce was shrinking and looking very unhappy. Now with my "apex" it's looking a lot better. But I'm still not getting it to bounce either. Maybe the whole nutrient thing is something bc I have been dealing with low to undetectable nitrates and phos.
This is quite interesting. I’ve got three temp checkers (apex, Hannah salinity, and Hannah oh) that all report same temps. So I don’t *think* that it’s temp. I just wanna make my babies happy.

I've got the Red Sea Pro kit. While I wish it was easier and having issues with colors is another PITA. I just haven't found one that has the range this test does.

If anyone knows of a better & easier test that has the range of the Red Sea Pro I'd like to hear about it too.

I've seen some of the Hanna checkers repurposed to do other tests beyond their design. When I get going again I'm going to look real hard at that.

Back