OCEA LLC still in business?

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
I had tried to get in touch with them a while ago about a quote on a tank. Their website has been down for weeks, with only an online quote request form. I filled it out and sent it, but never heard back. Found their tel # and called but never a return call. They are still listed as a Sponsor on R2R, but no activity since mid March.

They seem to have dropped off the planet.

Anyone know anything? Just curious at this point, as I bought my tank elsewhere.
Dave

I also requested a tank quote a couple months ago with no response. :(

Let us know what you find out.

The "original" Ocea went out of business about 6 years ago :(

Jenn

Same guy as always still owns and operates Ocea, he is currently filling orders for Southeast pet, now that Oceanic has been dropped by several vendors he is filling there orders. As many may have noticed his prices have jumped significantly.

Then it sounds like he is wholesale now. Probably good for him, but a general announcement to that effect would have been appreciated. Not responding to customer inquiries just makes you look like you don't care.
Dave

Does anyone know if he is still accepting custom work orders? If not it is really going to suck for me as I was waiting until the "tax refund" rush had slowed down to place my order. :(

reefknight;343134 wrote: Does anyone know if he is still accepting custom work orders? If not it is really going to suck for me as I was waiting until the "tax refund" rush had slowed down to place my order. :(

They are still around as I just heard from Ty yesterday. He bought the company from the original owners and relocated to Alabama a while back. He really got going a couple of months ago and is basically getting his butt kicked right now. He's still taking orders outside of wholesale and is working on his website to be able to facilitate that.

That being said, Bill...call Chris up at Fish Scales to have him run you a quote. Ty's prices have gone up to the general public, and Chris is more than fair and really takes his time to work through your options. To accomplish what he and I have in a week of planning would have taken a month with Ocea.

Derek_S;342728 wrote: I also requested a tank quote a couple months ago with no response. :(

Let us know what you find out.

His prices are pretty much in-line with glasscages at this point. :boo:

texhorns98;343138 wrote: They are still around as I just heard from Ty yesterday. He bought the company from the original owners and relocated to Alabama a while back. He really got going a couple of months ago and is basically getting his butt kicked right now. He's still taking orders outside of wholesale and is working on his website to be able to facilitate that.

That being said, Bill...call Chris up at Fish Scales to have him run you a quote. Ty's prices have gone up to the general public, and Chris is more than fair and really takes his time to work through your options. To accomplish what he and I have in a week of planning would have taken a month with Ocea.

Who is actually building the tanks, fishscales(Chris) or another company? Do you know if they produce stands as well? Thanks Trey!

Bill, Chris himself is building the tanks! I was kinda his guinea pig when he built my tank, but it is awesome. Look in my sig there is a link to my build thread of the tank he build. Now I don't believe he makes stands but many people here like grouper therapy make some great stands.

Chris is building them himself, and only himself. He builds stands as well, but I haven't actually seen his woodwork. You can give him a call at (770)965-6474. If he's out on a call, maybe his wife, Julie, can give you his cell number.

I've seen a tank built by Chris "Fish Scales". It was the "BOMB !!!". He does great work. Give him a call especially since he's an ARC sponser with great prices and excellent craftmanship and yeh a nice guy.

I had tried to get a quote from OCEA for a 30" x 30" x 24" rimless tank with 3 sides starfire, overflow and a stand, and wanted to try them over glasscages.

While my main complaint about glasscages is the poor attitude of the owner, at least they answer and return calls, and they build tanks. My glasscages tank is fine. At least I was able to get one.
Dave

Acroholic;343170 wrote: I had tried to get a quote from OCEA for a 30" x 30" x 24" rimless tank with 3 sides starfire, overflow and a stand, and wanted to try them over glasscages.

While my main complaint about glasscages is the poor attitude of the owner, at least they answer and return calls, and they build tanks. My glasscages tank is fine. At least I was able to get one.
Dave

Yeah, the owner is a real piece of work. I emailed him about some concerns I'd read about them on-line. Instead of addressing those concerns he just chose to ignore my email. Ty is a good guy, his business just grew a LOT faster than he expected, I think. Unfortunately, growing a business too quickly can kill you just as easily as not growing at all.

Dave, Deep Sea Aquatics can likely build that for you. They don't deal direct as far as I know, but any LFS who deals with Southeast Pet as a supplier can get a quote for you.

Deep Sea is made up of the folks that used to do Oceanic's customs when they were in Texas (before they moved to WI after the Central acquisition). Their products aren't cheap but they are nice - and come with the customer service and quality that customers deserve.

Jenn

JennM;343191 wrote: Dave, Deep Sea Aquatics can likely build that for you. They don't deal direct as far as I know, but any LFS who deals with Southeast Pet as a supplier can get a quote for you.

Deep Sea is made up of the folks that used to do Oceanic's customs when they were in Texas (before they moved to WI after the Central acquisition). Their products aren't cheap but they are nice - and come with the customer service and quality that customers deserve.

Jenn

Ask me about my recent experience with DSA before you go that direction.

JennM;343191 wrote: Dave, Deep Sea Aquatics can likely build that for you. They don't deal direct as far as I know, but any LFS who deals with Southeast Pet as a supplier can get a quote for you.

Jenn

I actually did get a LFS quote for a DSA 24" cube, and the price was too high for me. I like DSA tanks, don't get me wrong, but custom work from them carries a high price tag. Their price on a 60 gallon 24" cube (no starfire, center back overflow), stock stand (neo-nano type) was more than a Neo-90 with stand.

What I was asking for was basically a taller Neo-Nano with a center overflow, no more.
Dave

Back