Oceans Motions

tinmanunited

Market
Reaction score
So, I've got a problem with the Oceans Motions I have with my build. I have a 1.5" inlet from the tank supplying the OM, this feeds the 4 way which is 4x 3/4" returns. If anyone is familiar with these things, they essentially provide random flow with its revolving drum. I have the version where the ports are opposed, 1&3 and then 2&4. When only the two ports are open the system hammers. Apparently this is due to the reduction in plumbing, as 2x 3/4" does not equate to 1.5" in volume. My only options at this point are 1), valve back the pump to reduce hammering. 2) increase the 4 ports to 1" or 3) tee off before the OM and have a separate return back to the tank to reduce back pressure.

Now I'm not happy with valving back the pump, as this negates even having it there, besides i literally have to almost close it off for it to work. So it's between 2 and 3, what do you guys think? I think I'm leaning more towards teeing option.

two ways to solve that.

First and best way is to have the OM be at the highest point of the system.

Second is to drill a line of small holes in the drum so there is always some flow going to all the legs of the system.

Won't be able to mount the OM in another location without considerable work and cost at this point, but the drilling sounds interesting. I wonder though, if it will be enough to eliminate the hammering all together.

thats what paul at OM recommend for a setup I did a while back.

Also just remembered you can also put one way valves on the branches.

I've actually been in contact all afternoon with Paul, hah. Great customer service. just thought I'd get some different perspectives. He did not mention that however, maybe he did not think that would work in my situation. I have just sent him an email about his version 4 drum which sends water to 3 outputs at a time. Wonder if that will work?

EnderG60;833053 wrote: two ways to solve that.

First and best way is to have the OM be at the highest point of the system.

Second is to drill a line of small holes in the drum so there is always some flow going to all the legs of the system.

This!

Id start with 1/8" holes every 1/2" and see if that does it. If not enlarge or add more holes

Thanks. In your situation, was it a hammering or just a thump? Paul recalls giving this advice, but doesn't think it will help my situation. I think I am still going to try though, as the alternatives are larger in scope.

it was a OM super squirt powered by a snapper with 1.5 outlets open at a time(forget what drum)

and it was a loud thump on the line that just got the flow cut off with the OM under the tank and the legs run up and over the edge.

I have since put the OM at the highest point of the system and never had an issue since.

SUCCESS!! I drilled 6x 5/32nd holes, 3 in each blocked section of the drum, and the hammering is gone. It is also working at full throttle.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Back