Octopus Needlewheel 150 it is :fish:

wolfie

Market
Reaction score
The NW150 skimmer is built on a simple, proven design. This skimmer comes with a needlewheel driven pump.

................................Body width ..........6"
................................Hight ..................23"
................................Foot print ...........10"X9"
I decided that I am going to go with this skimmer for my 75GL tank and 30GL sump.

I have the 30GL tank ready, but had not made it into a sump just yet. I am plain on having a fug in this 30GL also. It 30”L 12”W and 18”H. I like to get some idea as to how I am going to build this sump.

Any thought on how I am going to make the best out of this 30GL sump?
thanhs

Take a look at my 20gall on my 65 working well.
001.jpg
alt="" />

kzoo, that sump looks awesome. But what's the purpose of the partion w/ teeth in front of your return pumps?

I would guess fuge area maybe, but wow does this thing look engineered.

Personally, I would create one divider for the return pump and one divider for the fuge if you plan on running one. Simple and only requires a few panes of glass to build.

hey wayne check out my pic, I have that exact skimmer in my 30L. Tank is basically set out in thirds. Basically my sections are 10" for the return area, 12" for the fuge and 11" for the skimmer. The baffels take up the rest obviously. I just bought the glass paynes they sell at homedepot which were like 2.40 a piece and siliconed them in....granted the pieces are cut just a hair too big so they dont sit in there straight, got kinda lil angle to them, but that doesnt hurt any. You could get pieces cut exactly or use acrylic, its all up to you. Its been working great for me so far.

showthread.php

That what I have in mind. Fug in the middle and return on the other end.

Closer pic?

sorry man but my camera is at work, I could snap some pics durring lunch and post them after. Just make sure you do that 3 baffel thing after the skimmer section. That skimmer makes a lot of bubbles and some do excape so those baffels are pretty important at diffusing the loose guys.

glxtrix;42762 wrote: hey wayne check out my pic, I have that exact skimmer in my 30L. Tank is basically set out in thirds. Basically my sections are 10" for the return area, 12" for the fuge and 11" for the skimmer. The baffels take up the rest obviously. I just bought the glass paynes they sell at homedepot which were like 2.40 a piece and siliconed them in....granted the pieces are cut just a hair too big so they dont sit in there straight, got kinda lil angle to them, but that doesnt hurt any. You could get pieces cut exactly or use acrylic, its all up to you. Its been working great for me so far.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4672">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4672</a>[/QUOTE]

Like the design. Any reason you left your return section so large?

hm 10 + 12 +11 = 33 :D but I guess I could make the fug a little smaller then 12"

oh sorry my tank is 36" long. Cam I left the return area larger so when the tank evaps I can have it go a longer period w/o the possibility of the pumps running dry. Of course that will all be kept in check once a float switch is installed.

Ahh... I thought you might be saving some room for another piece of equipment.

Wolfie I would use glxtrix design and shrink the return area. You would have to do the math, but I think just shrinking that compartment and leaving the rest alone would work.

I also like the fact he kept the divider height in the sump down. This gives him a lot more room in case of an overflow.

that 1 of the main reason I wanted to change out my old sump. The old Sump will into my 39GL tall with a 65 supper skimmer

I could have actually raised the glass in mine a lot more, the overflow I have is very shallow and on my return line I drilled a hole right under the water line so syphon breaks on that right away, there isnt a lot of water that fills back up...but seeing how the glass pannels were just regualr and not cut to spec for the tank, its kinda what I'm stuck with. No biggies tho, it all works out in some odd way, lol. Yeah once I get the whole float switch deal off my work tank I'll install it here and make the fuge area larger.

glxtrix -

Why is your tank only lighted on one side? Also you said your glass panels "were just regular" what do you mean by that? I see your over line coming down, I don't see where that is going into.

Making a the bubble trap, how high is that center divider?

ah I should state that my lighting is only temp for the moment, my tank is finishing its cycling process, just added some damsels to finish it all up. The light thats on there is a simple 65W PC, there will be 2x175W halides, but seeing how its not needed durring the cycling and the lights are on other tanks with livestock, thats the reason why only half the tank is lit. What I mean by "regular glass" is homedepot sells certain cut sized paynes of glass, these were like 12x10 or something like that, seeing how I didnt want to go thu the hastle of getting glass cut to size I just bought those and stuck them in the sump, as I said they arent the best fit but it does work. The over under over bubble trap is a simple setup, the under aka middle one is set usually 1" off the bottom of the tank and obviously the other two are set directly on the bottom. Mine is set a lil higher, approx the height of a 3/4" pvc coupler...that was my balancing piece while the silicone was setting. I'll be going home inna few hours so I'll snap some closer pics for you and post them. You'll prolly see them up here by 2ish. Feel free to ask any other questions, hopefully I'll be able to help...if not I'm sure there are many others who can :)

not sure if the pics show whats up but I think you might get the idea. Ask away if you have any questions.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
42889=2570-baffel1.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
42889=2570-baffel1.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="baffel1.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Back