Octopus NW110 setup

haninja

Lifetime
Reaction score
I got it two weeks ago and am running it in sump since then. The skimmer is not producing any foam. The skimmer seems to be working ok as it is filled with bubbles but they just burst in a spray rather then creating the dry foam. I have tried both lowering and raising the level but can't seem to get foam. When it's at the high level I get some green skimmet mainly fro the spray, but sill not foam. what gives?
It's running on a 46g with Tang, Coral beauty, lawnmower blenny, clown and cardinal. Not very heavy load but still... before that I had a Ramora that was producing green skimmet.

It seems like 2 weeks would be enough time for a break-in period. Are you running heavy carbon or any additives? Have you cleaned the skimmer since you set it up?

Is the skimmer running stock? You could always try a mesh mod to get finer bubbles.

Could you post a pic of the skimmer running?

I'd give it two more weeks, as it shouldn't need to be modded to do its job. Add 5 drops of Aqueon to the water (just the 5 drops please) you'll get foam for a day out of that, skimmate should be a cloudy green color. If its clear, you added too much. If you dont get anything in the collection cup, then theres something most likely wrong with the skimmer, maybe the pump out put.

<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">I’m running it stock and I agree that it shouldn’t be modded to do it’s job. I am considering modding it at a later time (including the gate valve). There’s no carbon and the skimmer hasn’t been cleaned since initial setup.</span></span>

i know that my skimmer didnt work sitting right next to my return pump,maybe thats the case with yours.

i believe vinegar would only help if he had calcium built up in the pump, two weeks should not be long enough for this to happen.

Yes, don't give it a vinegar bath or you'll have to start the break-in period all over again.

Make sure you have good air and water flow into the skimmer, and set the water level just high enough so that your skimmate isn't clear.

Chances are the skimmer just needs more time for break-in.

My Euroreef always skims exactly like that. No matter how I adjust the output the skimmate is always the same consistency and color. I like to think it is because my tank is clean...

2026806423_1abbf95016_b.jpg
width="1024" height="681" alt="Sump 2" /></a>

Fixed pic. Is there no way to edit posts on this forum?

willtel;116409 wrote: My Euroreef always skims exactly like that. No matter how I adjust the output the skimmate is always the same consistency and color. I like to think it is because my tank is clean...

2026806423_1abbf95016_b.jpg
alt="" />

my skimmer barley foams becasue i am way underload. but when i have my footlong yellow it foamed amazingly.

vinigar bath is good. sometimes it does not get all the oils but it does Indeed speed up the breakin period.

i had to trim the o-ring on the venturi for my 150 to work right. the o ring blocked the air tube alot on mine.

<span style="color: black;">You are not supposed to use an o-ring on the pump intake, only the output into the skimmer. At least not on the NW version.</span>

that would make sense but the directions said too and i still have left overs too

Thier is a seal the goes on the venturi to the pump. (At least on the bigger versions) use the seal it actualy helps performance alittle., or you can get a O-ring at lowes that fits real good and does not block the air hole.

or you could take it out if you run it in sump. You can also adjust level and skimming better if you physically raise and lower the skimmer body in your sump.

Back