Oh no. PLEASE HELP.

Ok well when i say “new tank” i mean “never used”.

however, the tank sat empty for a yeAr after i won it in a raffle from pure reef.

but the tank was literally store condition before i added sand and water. It was still in plastic wrap 3 weeks ago.
So, where did you store the tank? If it was in a garage or unfinished non-climate controlled area then that could weaken the silicone seal and cause the problems you are seeing. Marineland tanks also are known for sometimes having silicone issues like bubbling without issues according to lots of folks on many forums , although I know several instances where these tanks have had failures. And having a tank failure is no fun- speaking from personal experience of having multiple tank failures in under a one year period :( . Pure Reef is great though, so I’m sure they will do their best to help guide you.

I plan to call george at pure reef tomorrow and also marineland on monday.
That is a good plan. If you won it in a raffle they sponsored I would think they would stand behind that. I am relatively certain that silicone doesn’t deteriorate like that after only a year of storage.

So, where did you store the tank? If it was in a garage or unfinished non-climate controlled area then that could weaken the silicone seal and cause the problems you are seeing. Marineland tanks also are known for sometimes having silicone issues like bubbling without issues according to lots of folks on many forums , although I know several instances where these tanks have had failures. And having a tank failure is no fun- speaking from personal experience of having multiple tank failures in under a one year period :( . Pure Reef is great though, so I’m sure they will do their best to help guide you.
@tclogston just had a devastating tank failure of a Marineland system he purchased brand new from PureReef and, to my knowledge, set up right away. He lost everything and is taking a break from the hobby now. He had a very well stocked and beautiful system. Good for you for being aware and noticing it before you had a disaster. I’m hoping Marineland will stand behind their product and either send you or Pure Reef a replacement tank. Keep us posted! So sorry you are dealing with this but like @sharis100 said, better now than later.

Take it from my struggles....cycle your rocks with bacteria for as long as you can! @sharis100 TRIED to tell me to do that and I was clueless as to why so I didn’t. BIG MISTAKE
Cycling your rocks in a brute or Rubbermaid or other container while you are waiting on a tank replacement will keep your project moving forward.

Question for everyone:

Were I to take the tank apart and resilicone it, would that, in theory, fix the problem?

last question, the bubbles have gone away... is this good or bad? Like if the bubbles go away, then in theory is the tank safe?

If you reseal it it would be ok just make sure to get all the old silicone off. silicone wont stick to silicone cleaning all the old silicone is the longest part

Don’t reseal until you make sure there is a warranty in place or not. If you reseal and there was a replacement warranty, it will void the warranty. If there is no warranty , then resealing totally is the way to go. Plenty of nice ARC folks know how to do that and can give you tips and perhaps assistance.

Back